Gibson Brands Forums

40 years ago today,

jaxson50

Debbie reminded me about the 40 years now yesterday. I have no clue what we were doing, My mind isn't as sharp as some of you but we were just married our 1st year then. Think I was working at Union Pacific RR when the news came over.  Wasn't that on a Monday he was shot? 

35 minutes ago, Retired said:

Debbie reminded me about the 40 years now yesterday. I have no clue what we were doing, My mind isn't as sharp as some of you but we were just married our 1st year then. Think I was working at Union Pacific RR when the news came over.  Wasn't that on a Monday he was shot? 

It was a Monday! You are correct.  Mind seems pretty sharp to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brad1 said:

It was a Monday! You are correct.  Mind seems pretty sharp to me.

Oh, your'e so kind. Yes then, A Monday, I would have been working at the UP then. I know I was thinking then, Who in the world would want to shoot John Lennon? 

I was 12 and very well could have been watching MNF that night, but honestly don't remember. I do remember seeing the news reports and the radio stations discussing it. At that time I wasn't a Beatles fan and knew John Lennon mostly from the Double Fantasy album which had just been released. Of course, since then, I've come to love and appreciate The Beatles and John Lennon and seeing this footage affects me more now than it did at the time. 

I will never forget it, I was in the US Navy stationed in the Philipenes listening to the Monday Night Fottball game when it was announced.. Sad day for me for sure. We partied pretty good that night and listend to Double Fantasy alot,  Along with Beatles as well.  R.I.P. John your are still missed greatly.

I was in college in Fayetteville, Arkansas living with my brother who was in his last semester as an architectural student. He spent an all nighter at the school. I was woken up the next morning by the alarm radio broadcasting a local station which was playing Beatles song after Beatles song. I got up and my brother had just come back to the apartment. I said, "Man, it's gonna be a great day, they're playing nothing but Beatles!" He said, "Phillip sit down."

I can't believe it's been 40 years. The death  of John affected me more than any other of celebrities whom I admired. He is still my favorite song writer.

Edited by Tman