Gibson Brands Forums

NGD, 30 years in the making

sparquelito

So, a little over a year ago, a very nice lady posted to another guitar forum where I moderate (and frequently provide guitar valuations), looking for information and advice.

She had a 1991 Fender Strat Plus Deluxe, still new in the case, and wished to know what it might be worth. She was considering selling it.

My partner and I provided the requested information, and endeavored to help her sell the guitar, if that was her wish. In the end, she never sold the guitar.

The Strat had been purchased for a dear friend back in 1991, intended as a gift.
But alas the relationship ended, and the gift was never given.

The guitar sat in its case, under a bed, for literally three decades.
Un-played and pristine.

I would love to have owned the guitar myself, but long-distance shipping rates and all, plus the various unknown factors such as fret sprout, made it impossible.

I became friends with the seller over a period of months, and we have exchanged emails and family updates over a great period of time. I feel very close to the lady now, and count her as a good (albeit long-distance) friend.

She recently emailed and asked if I would consider purchasing the guitar from her.
It didn't feel right selling to a stranger off of eBay or Craigslist, but since I'm a trusted friend, (and would be disinclined to ever resell the guitar), would I consider buying it?

Sure enough, my tax-returns turned out well this year, and I have the disposable income.

Long story short, I mailed the check, my friend shipped via FedEx, and so here she is.
My brand-new condition, with all the original case-candy, 30 year old Fender Stratocaster.

I am in love.
I really can't believe that an elderly instrument could remain in such perfect condition over all this time.
No fret sprout, everything feels and sounds fantastic, and she's gorgeous.
The Fender Lace Sensor pickups are really nice, and I've always been a fan of the roller-nut.

A keeper, and now my life-long guitar.

I feel like, with this guitar's history, I'm not so much the owner now, but the second caretaker.
And the next caretaker will get it after I'm passed-away and gone.

🙂

shipping-box-jpg.841153

1991-strat-plus-deluxe-jpg.841154

new-home-1-jpg.841155

new-home-2-jpg.841158

new-home-3-jpg.841161

back-side-jpg.841166

• Sad 1

Congrats.  Lovely - as new, like you say.  I always liked the lace sensors myself.

This roller nut is the one which takes 0.10 max I think?  For that reason it was superseded by the Fender LSR roller nut.

AND it's got neck-tilt!  My favourite! [biggrin]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

One interesting thing I just noticed.. check out how the black part of the sunburst covers all the contours on the side of the body. This is apparently because Fender was using poplar for bodies at the time with an alder veneer on the front and back (for translucent finishes)

• Like 1

Wow a 30 year old brand new guitar - that is fantastic.  Looks like a real beauty.  I never had a Strat with the Lace Sensor pickups, but my buddy that I played with for about 15 years had them in his Strat and he could sure make them sound great.  You are going to love that thing, congratulations 👍

• Like 1

This is excellent!   don't get much more "new old stock" than that.

I have a strat plus btw.  Mine is a 96 I believe.  same finish  The roller nut changed a bit, mine is much smaller. 

I wound up replacing the lace sensors for texas specials.  I sold the pick guard with the gold lace sensors like a day after I listed it.

has the best neck of any fender I've ever played,  and I've played a lot of em.

• Like 1