Gibson Brands Forums

Crap, Charlie Watts

SteveFord

Wiki listed this anecdote:   I just HOPE it's true!

An intoxicated Jagger phoned Watts's hotel room in the middle of the night, asking, "Where's my drummer?" Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying: "Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my f**king singer!"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

An intoxicated Jagger phoned Watts's hotel room in the middle of the night, asking, "Where's my drummer?" Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying: "Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my f**king singer!"

It's in the Keith Richards "Life" book.  Think it was breakfast time.

Charlie was the best of them. R.I.P.

RIP Charlie. Thanks for decades of solid, sometimes understated, and always classy drumming.

We're losing too many.

I also realized that many of the early rappers are old enough to live in the +50-year-old communities that have been my bread-and-butter since we had to play Glenn Miller and Frank Sinatra tunes to please the crowds.

I know sooner or later it gets us all, but I'd like it to be much, much, much later.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jdgm said:

It's in the Keith Richards "Life" book.  Think it was breakfast time.

Charlie was the best of them. R.I.P.

Amen brother! Charlie was the best of the lot, and a damn good drummer, rock solid. 

RIP Charlie,  they may hire a fill in, but nobody will replace you.

7 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

RIP Charlie. Thanks for decades of solid, sometimes understated, and always classy drumming.

We're losing too many.

I also realized that many of the early rappers are old enough to live in the +50-year-old communities that have been my bread-and-butter since we had to play Glenn Miller and Frank Sinatra tunes to please the crowds.

I know sooner or later it gets us all, but I'd like it to be much, much, much later.

Insights and incites by Notes

Well said, I think we are the same vintage,  

16 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

This actually played out for me exactly to same way but without the punch. The  singer from a another band (speaking to our singer) referred to me as 'your guitarist'. I had to put him straight of course.

Ack.   No sooner did I go offline yesterday, then get in my car to run to a store, I barely got to the first stop sign(5 houses down the street from mine) when the all news station I keep my vehicle's radio on made mention of this.

Well, in typical forum fashion(not just this one, but all, in my experience)  many came in and claimed Watts to be the "best" of the rock drummers, as they did when Moon, then Bonham and then Mitchell passed.  But that's not saying I didn't think he was a very good drummer.   I do know and think he was up there with the others.  But I liked him for another reason as well.

It would always amuse me, whenever the Stones made an appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show that while Jagger was going through his histrionics, and the others were boppin' and shaking to the tune they were playing, there sat Watts,  very relaxed and still,  barely moving and looking into the camera with a very deadpan, nonplussed and almost bored expression on his face.  [laugh]

Tell the truth, there's plenty who thought perhaps the older former bassist Bill Wyman would go first, and for sure, anyone would think Keith Richards would have been gone LONG before Watts.   [wink]   And like drummer Ringo of The Beatles, Watts was the Stones member who many thought would be the coolest to hang out with.

You certainly do deserve to Rest In Peace Charlie.

Whitefang