Gibson Brands Forums

NLPS6B8NHD

On 6/19/2022 at 3:35 AM, OrdinaryNimda said:

Wow, the flame over that grain! 

Just curious, what was it, that was not perfect on the original setup?

The setup was pretty good.  I just had to tighten down the trussrod maybe 1/8 turn to get the relief pretty flat.  It's almost flat enough.  I'll probably need a little more tightening here in the next week or two.  It seems like all Gibsons need that once they're strung up and being played in.  I want that relief to eventually be as little as possible, and it takes a few weeks to settle in.  So far, so good.

Edited by badbluesplayer
  • Thanks 1

So I guess I'm keeping it.  I played it with the band and it was so awesome that I almost played with my foot up on an amp.  I put in a treble bleed circuit and changed the pickups.  Can't live without a treble bleed.  And I decided to change out the stock '61 pickups for a set of Fralin Pure PAF's that I have, which are a 59 type pickup, with alnico 2 magnets and more dynamic range to them.  The '61's are hotter and more creamy sounding, with alnico 5 magnets.  Really hot for the neck position.  I'll put them in my '19 Standard, which is going to get sold.  The '19  had '61s in it originally.  Anyway, my hands are sore from playing too much, so that's good.  Time for strap lock buttons.

10 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

So I guess I'm keeping it.  I played it with the band and it was so awesome that I almost played with my foot up on an amp.  I put in a treble bleed circuit and changed the pickups.  Can't live without a treble bleed.  And I decided to change out the stock '61 pickups for a set of Fralin Pure PAF's that I have, which are a 59 type pickup, with alnico 2 magnets and more dynamic range to them.  The '61's are hotter and more creamy sounding, with alnico 5 magnets.  Really hot for the neck position.  I'll put them in my '19 Standard, which is going to get sold.  The '19  had '61s in it originally.  Anyway, my hands are sore from playing too much, so that's good.  Time for strap lock buttons.

Before you swap out the pickups, try lowering the neck pickup A LOT.  To like 0.4". Then you can adjust the bridge pickup to taste, but just try that w the neck pup first. 

I found such a sweet spot there that I wouldn't dream of swapping out the pickups. I mean, it'll knock your socks off. It's so bluesy and creamy, yet articulate.