Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Les Paul Custom 2008

bigtim

Ok well I posted this over in the gibson custom thread but there is not much but crickets chirping in that room. So here we go again over here in the lounge.

Found a guy locally who had this custom for sale. It is a 2008 Les Paul Custom with the patent applied for bb1 and 2 pick ups. Real ebony board. Plus the finish is solid and not transparent like the wine red models are. Anyways thought some of you would like to see it. This one has all of the hang tags and case candy plus the tag is still on the case as well. The guy was a collector and NEVER played it. It is mint with no marks or anything. Loving it!!

I had a white 1981 les paul custom that I sold in 2004. I owned that guitar for 22 years and I guess since I got it when I was so young, I did not know what I had. I have longed for one of the les paul customs ever since. Well I feel blessed to have picked this one up yesterday. Enjoy!!

Fp8KnME.jpg

ctejkEL.jpg

lcAGjDp.jpg

QhoUtlW.jpg

Thanks for all of the compliments on my new les paul custom guitar. I am not selling this one. I have learned that lesson. I do notice though comparing this custom to my traditional pro 2 that this custom is overall finished out better. Better fret dressing and string nut. Obviously the finish is outstanding too. But on the minor things like pick up rings the custom has thicker pick up holders or mounting rings. The traditional has thinner pick up mounting rings. I like how the pick ups looks better in the thinner rings. I may swap the ones on the custom out because the neck pick up is flush with the mounting ring at the neck position on th3 custom. Also seems to be less tension with the springs on the height screws. So they seem to be a little loose. Nothing major but I think it would look better and actually the pick ups would be more stable with thinner mounting rings adding pressure to the springs while also exposing more of the pick up itself.

Also the pick guatd fits tighter and more flush around the pick ups on the custom too and rides the body between the pick ups. Just a better overall fit.

The custom has been weight relieved as well and is not heavy at all. I wish I had a way to weigh it but it feels almost like 2 lbs lighter. Maybe not that much but it is a very noticeable difference.

Also for some reason I have notice the upper strap button are in different locations as well. The custom has it in the place that seems correct while the traditional one has it higher toward the toggle switch. I wonder why the traditional is that way. Is it so people could not pass off a traditional for a real les paul standard?

The ABR bridge is mounted directly into the wood on the custom and the traditional has the studs and inserts for the TOM bridge. I think the 1981 custom I had had an ABR but it also had the metal inserts for the ABR bridge too. I do not know why Gibson would change that up as the studs into the metal inserts would seem more stable. Although I do not see why the ABR set up would fail on the custom.

All input and thoughts are welcome. This is the first time I ever had 2 different les pauls to compare.

Thank you. Also yes I like the pick guard on every les paul so I am definitely leaving this one on.

Holy S___ bigtim! What a beautiful red finish on that girl! I think you have yourself there a whole lot of Gibson in the LP Custom form msp_thumbup.gif Treat her well and best wishes playing. Oh, and congratulations!

Yes me too. I remember drooling over the ads in guitar player magazines back in the 80's as well. I always drool over good looking guitars but this one has to be the prettiest one I have ever owned hands down.

As a very young guitar player in the 1980s, the Les Paul Custom was always the pinnacle of guitars to me. Seeing your beautiful guitar takes me back to that. Well done!

And here is another pic of just the body. I thought I had posted it the first time but I missed it somehow. So here is just a front shot of the body. When I search for pictures of a 2008 les paul custom I notice that the ones that pop up online always have different volume and tone knobs on them. These I guess are the witch hat knobs. I prefer them but I was just wondering why there were 2 different style knobs. I do not know if they are different custom models or what. But these are actually clear toward the bottom of the knobs and if you look closely you can see that the candy apple red reflects into the knobs and makes the knobs look like they match!! I have never paid attention to that on other guitars that may have the same knobs but it looks freaking awesome to me!!

W8zsoXI.jpg

bigtim,

Those gold insert knobs you have on there look great. My 2015 LP Custom came with the black speed knobs and I changed them to the gold insert knobs like you have. Both look great, but I like the gold insert knobs on my LP better, that's all. And if you like speed knobs, then so be it. Won't take away from that beautiful guitar. And glad you are keeping the pickguard on, haha! Cheers!

Archived