Gibson Brands Forums

My house made the tv news

ksdaddy

Skip to 13:00.

http://www.wagmtv.com/content/news/Newsource-8-The-Evening-Edition-080416-389219862.html

Ka-boom.

I have bits of spruce tree all over the lawn in a 90+ ft radius. It blew up one of the garage door operators, an old Panasonic receiver in the garage, 3 outlets down cellar, a couple switches, melted some wiring, and destroyed a section of vinyl siding on the north wall of the house.

On a bit of a comical note, the small room where the water pump, tank, all that is located....there was styrofoam insulation on the walls. Some of that exploded into popcorn peanuts and littered the floor. Lots of it. The entryway to the pump room was covered with a large sheet of cardboard, probably from a box a washer or dryer would come in. I had totes and boxes of packing material parked in front of it, as it's handy to the table where I ship. It blew all that stuff right out into the middle of the floor.

My wife and stepdaughter happened to be home and they said it was like a bomb going off. They got in the car and backed out of the garage, not knowing if the house was going to catch fire or if it was safe to be in there. Penny said it smelled very strongly of ozone. I have no idea what ozone smells like. Meanwhile I'm in a rock quarry 50 miles away on the other end of the phone, with clear skies above, trying to assess the situation by hastily sent cell phone pics.

The power company checked the wiring up to the house and I had an electrician come out that evening so we could get power back. It tripped 4 breakers and the main breaker and we didn't dare turn it all on without a check. Good thing, as there were some dangerous outlets and such. He ran a 12/2 jumper past all that so we could have the water pump. I'll replace all that at my leisure and neaten it up.

I was a little saddened by some of the people who offered advice in dealing with the insurance company. People have told me to claim more damage than had actually occurred...TVs regularly get zapped, right? And that 1969 Whirlpool washer is getting a little ratty...might as well claim IT stopped working too...

No. Absolutely not.

We had damage, yes, but I'm not going to lie about it just because it's the thing to do. In fact, the insurance company basically told me to have a contractor come in and do up an estimate. I then learned they have a local company who acts as a liaison of sorts; I insisted HE come walk the damage with me so there's no appearance of me "getting my brother in law to do the estimate". As a result, they will allow $500 for removal of the tree, which...I have two pickups and a tractor and the neighbor's burn pile is 500 feet away, I think we can handle that. I'll go buy a $109 Poulan chain saw at WalMart if need be. He will get us a price on a garage door controller. Side note, the guy I bought the house from in 2012 made his living selling and servicing overhead doors and his son now owns the business...and he lives a half mile up the road. How convenient. As to the wiring, he said to keep track of whatever materials I buy (probably $20!) and they would give me an allowance for electrical repair. If they cover that and toss me a few bucks for a couple hours labor I will be happy. As to the side of the house, he said the insurance company may allow for the entire side to be re-sided. I will know Monday or Tuesday. If not, I'm sure some can be pieced in to replace the damaged ones. I'll go with what they allow. I'm not touching siding. I hate vinyl siding. There's cedar shingles underneath and I wish we could go back to that.

Glad you are ok KSDaddy, the power of lightning is truely amazing, I was hiking once and got caught in a lightning storm in the mountains, laid down as flat as I could get in a field and watched a huge pine tree take a direct hit, there was nothing left but a smoldering stump. It was deafening and order of ozone lingered in the air. Scary stuff.

Whoa! . . I always thought Caribou, Maine would be kinda quiet. But man, you've got plenty of action around there. The torn up property from the car crash earlier this year and now this. Once again, thankful no one was hurt.

Seems like you need something . . . I'll send you my rabbit's foot. . . B)

Whoa! . . I always thought Caribou, Maine would be kinda quiet. But man, you've got plenty of action around there. The torn up property from the car crash earlier this year and now this. Once again, thankful no one was hurt.

Seems like you need something . . . I'll send you my rabbit's foot. . . B)

I think his Hopf Saturn is cursed. The only way to break the curse is to sell it to me [flapper]

WOW!!!

Glad y'all are all OK... things can be replaced :) And you are every bit the scholar and gentleman we expected. We've been hit by lightning- thrice- and had everything from the washer and dryer go out to table lamps. The last time it blew a pin hole in one of the mains leading from the transformer to the house and we woke up with power in only half the house! Make sure your inspection is thorough :)

I've made a little progress. Not much inside the house. It's not like we're heating cans of beans over a can of sterno, all is back to normal, I just need to do the wiring. I'm taking the opportunity to neaten up a bit, culling unused land line wires and such. I'll keep the old rotary phone in the kitchen but everything else goes. I know that has nothing to do with the damage but I'm down there with wire cutters, might as well clean up.

And the plow truck has been busy.

https://www.facebook.com/sarah.j.englund/videos/10157260397520635/

Archived