Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite guitarists and why?

Lars68

Name your two favorite guitarists, acoustic or electric, and tell us a little bit about why you picked them. Don't pick just one, and don't pick three or more. Two is the number.

I will give it a go.

Neil Yong: 

Very recognisable, personal, style, on both acoustic and electric. Love his bass thumb, with pull-offs and hammer-ons for acoustic. Driving and melodic. I find his gritty electric tone very cool, yet always putting melody first. Neil's playing is not about showing off; it's all about what helps the song.

Johhny Marr:

The most melodic player I'm familiar with. Like Neil, he has a sound all his own. Almost never plays  guitar solos, in the traditional guitar hero sense, instead it is all about creating a mood for the song. He plays guitar that sounds like a complete orchestra. I'm pretty sure most of you know about Neil Young. Not so sure about Johhny Marr. His music is not par for the course here on the forum. If you don't know about him, here is a little taste:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2VozP2JzueI

Lars

Edited by Lars68

As there are way too many of those no longer with us for  me to pick from I will limit myself to those who are still amongst us.  If you have to ask why well then there ain't much hope for ya.

Alvin Youngblood Hart

Richard Thompson

Jorma Kaukonen

Honorable mention for Marty Stuart because while he is a jaw dropping good player I have not been nuts about all his material.

Edited by zombywoof

So many fine players out there, but I do keep coming back to this guy..............Monty Montgomery.  So smooth, techincally nearly perfect.......just wow.  And, as a side note, for those that wonder what the sound of compression is, the single note passages in this video are heavily compressed, much more than I personally care for but he makes it work for what he does.  Hear them 'pop'?  Compression.  Yes, some may say he's a bit over the top, but his mastery of the instrument cannot be denied.

Edited by Buc McMaster

Two guitarists?  No way.  Rules sometimes are meant to be broken.

In no particular order.  (They are all a tie.)

-Wes Montgomery

-Segovia

-Mark Knofler

—John Stewart (of the Kingston Trio)

-Son House (and Charley Patton)

-Grant Green

-Waylon Jennings

-Willie Nelson

-Tommy Emmanuel

-George Harrison

(Sadly only three  on this list are still living.  But, all still are  my favorites.)

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark
How could I have forgotten to have initially put in Tommy Emmanuel, George Harrison?

I bet for many of use our choices change with the mood.phase we are in. Anyways, for several years Mark Knopfler has been my favorite. Number two would be Greg Allman. Or Stephen Stills. 

MK has such a great somber voice... especially at his current age. His guitar playing  complements fantastically. He has always been able to do that. Marry his substantial skill... tone it up or down... to support the story he tells. I don’t think I’m expressing this the way I want to... but anyways there you have it.

SS.... just a beautiful expressive finger picking style...

Edited by ThemisSal

While I am also guilty of being fickle if I had to pick one all-time genius when it came to guitar  it always comes back to Lonnie Johnson.  He could do it all.  Recorded everything from gutbucket blues to leave you scratching our head in amazement solo guitar instrumentals to jazz with Louie Armstrong and Duke Ellington.

#1 - James Burton - (Suzie Q, Rick Nelson, Shindogs, Elvis, Merle Haggard, Emmylou Harris, John Denver, .........) Back before the internet I seldom knew who was playing on what record unless they were the star or listed on the album cover. James played on more of my favorite tunes than anyone else. I enjoy some of his contemporaries like Steve Cropper, Albert Lee, Don Rich,  Brent Mason and a slew of other telecaster masters but in my mind he's the original, putting banjo strings on the tele.

#2 - Chet Atkins - Took Merle Travis' style to a new level and created a new standard for finger picking. Can't say enough.

Greatest Guitarist Influencing future generations- Django Reinhardt. It's amazing how many greats list him as their #1 influence.

Michael Hedges, from the first time I saw him on vh1 in 90 I was hooked. His style was so unique.

Mark Knopfler’s style just speaks to me from straits to his solo albums he is just excellent.

Lindsey Buckingham,  George Harrison, Prince, Stephen Stills (gotta love treetop flyer), Roy Clark was amazing on whatever he was playing.

On 8/5/2019 at 6:59 AM, Murph said:

I am more impressed with mandolin and fiddle  players. I have no idea why.

You probably sleep on your right side, roll over and you'll start appreciating six strings...  flip to the other end of the bed and you'll start liking techno.

Norman Blake...his tone, timing, touch, and ease getting around the fretboard is a thing of beauty...just the right amount of notes, never too many and never too few. 

I also like, in no particular order: Charles Sawtelle, David Rawlings, Molly Tuttle, Bob Minner, Billy Strings, Presley Barker, and Jack Lawrence. And Doc Watson and Tony Rice are pretty good too.

Edited by Fidalgo

2 hours ago, Fidalgo said:

Norman Blake...his tone, timing, touch, and ease getting around the fretboard is a thing of beauty...just the right amount of notes, never too many and never too few. 

I also like, in no particular order: Charles Sawtelle, David Rawlings, Molly Tuttle, Bob Minner, Billy Strings, Presley Barker, and Jack Lawrence. And Doc Watson and Tony Rice are pretty good too.

Have a listen to Kenneth patingale from milk carton kids