Gibson Brands Forums

Old Age Is Over Rated

SteveFord

I was riding my Triumph Tiger 955 motorcycle to work yesterday and suffered a heart attack.  I wasn't sure what was going on so pulled over after a few miles, waited out traffic, and turned around thinking "I'm not going to make it home in time" and sho nuff, I blacked out doing around 50 MPH, somehow missed the oncoming traffic, blew through a corn field and came to just as the bike hit some ruts and I was being tossed on my head.

After a bit I called 911 and after having my heart attack me for around an hour I had a stent put in as one aorta was 100% blocked and my heart is still doing 3 different rhythms (I blame it on too much Zappa music: pedestrian beat,  Bossa Nova drop step and Thing Fish Xtra Funky) and my blood pressure keeps dropping into the basement.

Can't wait to say good bye to my 50s next month.  My 60s should be supercalifragilisticexpialadocious!

Edited by SteveFord

31 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

...one aorta was 100% blocked ...

Wow, that's not good.  Glad to see you've still got a great sense of humor! 

Coincidentally, yesterday I had my abdominal and neck aortas and major leg arteries echo-checked yesterday, then had a cardiac stress test on the treadmill.  It took forever to get my heart rate up to where they wanted it, so I'm hoping that means I'm in pretty good shape.  They didn't immediately take me in to emergency, so I guess my arteries are not so bad.  Haven't got results yet.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Steve!

• Thanks 1

'Kin'Ell!

As the others have already said really glad you got out of the episode to tell the tale! Look after yourself; this life most likely ain't a rehearsal for some other time! I entered the '60s in July and so far so good.

Old age might be overrated(?) but one thing's for sure; to reach Old age is better than to not reach Old age......

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2

Hey, Steve! I'm glad you're still with us! I hope that you will recover soon! I can tell you from experience that your life will change. Say goodbye to fatty meats, heavy salt, and any number of things that you may have previously enjoyed. Hopefully, you don't smoke as that was maybe the toughest of all to give up for me...I loved smoking and part of me still does even though I haven't touched one in seven years. I hope that your heart rhythm straightens out, too, as that is a most uncomfortable sensation. Please keep us apprised of your situation and ,If you are so inclined, my prayers will be with you and your family. Peace!

• Thanks 1

alright I'll be the 1st to ask. How's the bike doing ?

Steve, I'm really glad you're ok. I think about that from time to time when I'm riding. thank God for corn fields. softer than asphalt.

i have 8 months to go before I turn 60. told my wife the other day if I wake up on 5/31/2020 I'm going to laugh all day.  Steve, I'm glad you're ok. 

Edited by Karloff

I haven't seen the bike yet as I'm waiting to be discharged.  I saw broken windshield bits when I was lying next to the bike, I think it was basically a tip over as I'll bet I let off the gas and slowed down until I lost momentum and then fell over like the guy on the tricycle on the old Laugh-In.

No one is really sure what the deal is, maybe just one of those weird things where crap finally clogs up a port, maybe residual damage from drugs use decades ago.   No pacemaker, everything is back to normal!

Edited by SteveFord
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I haven't seen the bike yet as I'm waiting to be discharged.  I saw broken windshield bits when I was lying next to the bike, I think it was basically a tip over as I'll bet I let off the gas and slowed down until I lost momentum and then fell over like the guy on the tricycle on the old Laugh-In.

No one is really sure what the deal is, maybe just one of those weird things where crap finally clogs up a port, maybe residual damage from drugs use decades ago.   No pacemaker, everything is back to normal!

thats good ...

Edited by Karloff
  • Like 1