Gibson Brands Forums

Never to be included again...

Navy Vet.

So says Mick Fleetwood about Lindsey Buckingham as a member of Fleetwood Mac. 
Now it’s certainly none of my business but that doesn’t stop me from having an opinion. Fleetwood Mac was not founded by Mick Fleetwood as the article  erroneously stated. Fleetwood Mac was originally founded by Peter Green. I do know the Peter Green carried the band until he left. Then Bob Welch carried  the band until he left. Then Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks not only carried the band they were the band and made Mick Fleetwood a lot of money.  I’ll pay to see Lindsey Buckingham but I wouldn’t walk across the street to see this edition of Fleetwood Mac. 

• Like 1

Their lame now anyway. I would rather have bamboo shoved under my finger nails than have to listen to Rumors or any album after that.  Lindsey was the best musician in that group and they booted him cause that t-wat wanted him out. F her and them. She would be nothing if Lindsey didn't say you take me you need to take her too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I agree, re; Christine McVie. 
She's one sexy, awesome woman. 

As far as the rest, I can't really look at it objectively. 
Musicians and songwriters are people I admire, and really good live performers inspire me to step up my own game. 

But, as many have stated in other discussion on other forums recently on the topic of politics inside the Aerosmith band, once a band becomes a corporation (or even an industry or a franchise), then all artistry is lost to me. 

Fleetwood Mac the recording band enjoyed many incarnations over the decades, and they made some wonderful music. 

But Fleetwood Mac the 21st Century touring carnival show strikes me as a money-making business venture and not much more. 
(And I'm a HUGE fan of Neil Finn, so no slight to him for answering the call.)

Anyway, I'm gonna shut up now. 
😞

• Like 1

I've been a FM fan from the beginning, up until Buckingham/Nicks. Saw them in '75 right after the Rumors album release. It was in a small venue in Greensboro, NC that sold beer, and we had seats on the second row very close to the stage. After the first song, I spent the rest of the concert in line for beer and in line to the bathroom, and I had lots of company.

I've never been a Buckingham fan.

Edited by zigzag

4 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Why are they called "Fleetwood" Mac?

i liked the Peter Greene period... 

Never cared for the Bob Welch or Buckinham period. 

I like Stevie Nicks more as a solo Artist or with Petty or Henley. 

(Mick) Fleetwood (John) M(a)c (Vie). This was Peter Green's idea. Generously citing the rhythm section in naming the band.

I too liked Peter Greens original band. Though Jeremy Spenser was really a talented mimic and not really creative. He added little to the band. Green wanted someone else to share the spotlight with. Thats why Danny Kirwan was inducted IMO. Trouble is they then had 3 guitarists.

I enjoyed the Buckingham / Nicks incarnation too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rct said:

Or as I like to refer to her, Chirstine McB0ner, mayor of B0ner Town.

rct

I laughed way too hard at this...

but back to the topic.  Buckingham was the best musician in that entire circus.   Fleetwood is a lunatic.

Edited by kidblast

8 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I laughed way too hard at this...

but back to the topic.  Buckingham was the best musician in that entire circus.   Fleetwood is a lunatic.

Mick was a great coc sniffer, as a drummer, I guess the drummers could weigh in and let us know. He does the job.

Saw Lindsey a few years back solo. After the show I wanted to throw all my guitars away. He can do that with nothing but fingers and I am a hack.

1 hour ago, Murph said:

I prefer this album over any of them with the Mick.

I saw them at Birmingham’s Boutwell Auditorium  in January 1975. This was their only album and it was a great concert. I paid 7 a piece for two tickets. Man that was a great period in my life. 

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Saw Lindsey a few years back solo. After the show I wanted to throw all my guitars away. He can do that with nothing but fingers and I am a hack.

The thing about Linsey, IMO, is that (like Mike Campbell) when I see and hear him I think that I'm capable of playing like that. Of course, I could never be that good, but I don't react the way you do to his playing. There are hundreds, maybe thousands,  of guitar players who make me wonder if I could ever play that well, and he ain't one of them (and I've seen him solo).

45 minutes ago, zigzag said:

The thing about Linsey, IMO, is that (like Mike Campbell) when I see and hear him I think that I'm capable of playing like that. Of course, I could never be that good, but I don't react the way you do to his playing. There are hundreds, maybe thousands,  of guitar players who make me wonder if I could ever play that well, and he ain't one of them (and I've seen him solo).

Your right there are tons of great players out there and LB is one of them. I was in the second row, and It was insane seeing it live.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zigzag said:

Well I Can tell ya this...   I thought I had it all figured out till I saw Julian Bream about 15 years ago.   At the time he was 73, and he was conducting his last US tour. 

He blew my ever lovin mind.   I am not ashamed to say that when he finished his 3rd encore, I was actually in tears.   I looked over at my bandmate/buddy, (a 6' 2" 220 lb career teamster)  he was in the same condition.  "Dude... WTF just happened?"

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 2

Like the Aerosmith brouhaha, there are probably 2 sides to it.   Call the lawyers!+:-@

Buckingham-Nicks might have gone further on their own, but nowhere near as far or as fast as joining FM took them.  The band had the name, major record company backing and the touring network which was a huge advantage back in 1975.    They would have been mad to refuse Fleetwood's offer; however it was still a big gamble for everyone concerned. 

The outcome exceeded all of their wildest dreams.  They were millionaires within what? - 18 months. Certainly that would not have happened to Buckingham and Nicks, had they not joined. 

Buckingham left in the 80s for a solo career (yes they replaced him with TWO guys then too) but it wasn't that successful and he rejoined, once again to everyone's advantage - his and theirs.

I'm not a FM fan  except for the Green era.  I saw the Isle of Wight 2013 on video and it all seemed a bit slow.  The 3 English members are in their 70s now.

And they're ALL stinkin' rich anyway........[glare]

Edited by jdgm

You're exactly right but this is a forum which is a place to share your thoughts and ideas and opinions as well as helping others  with guitar related issues or we can just post specs about a 1937 J-45.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I liked the edition of Fleetwood Mac with Bob Welch and Christine McVie taking the lead vocals.  I would have liked to have the chance to play saxophone in that group.

I know Stevie Nicks made them a lot of money, and I'm not going to argue with success, but I was disappointed with that change.

Notes

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You're exactly right but this is a forum which is a place to share your thoughts and ideas and opinions as well as helping others  with guitar related issues or we can just post specs about a 1937 J-45.

I'm not arguing...! 

It's also right to say that Buckingham and Nicks saved and reignited the career of a band which was finished in their own country and near-dead in the water in the USA. 

As the OP sez....O:)

Edited by jdgm