Gibson Brands Forums

King Charles III and his wife, Queen Camilla both crowned this morning.

Retired

My wife was up early watching the whole process before 4:00 am.  Now she's in bed and Oliver is sleeping next to her Lol.

How many were up early watching or did anyone go to see it in person? Deb was telling me the sights she saw when she went over there before we were married. 

Yes I watched a great deal more than I thought I would. I was never a royalist but I've mellowed with age. The singing was good. TBH it was just great to see people out enjoying themselves with it all. 

I'm 'working' at present. We're caring for a cockapoo puppy about halfway between Portsmouth & London. So not able to get away. Would I have gone if I could? No, I'm not good with crowds nor London's pace  either. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

Yes I watched a great deal more than I thought I would. I was never a royalist but I've mellowed with age. The singing was good. TBH it was just great to see people out enjoying themselves with it all. 

I'm 'working' at present. We're caring for a cockapoo puppy about halfway between Portsmouth & London. So not able to get away. Would I have gone if I could? No, I'm not good with crowds nor London's pace  either. 

I'm usually not interested in stuff like that either, Could care less but Deb was glued to the set when I got up at 7:00. So I found myself watching the end of it. And then where he went behind the barriers to be anointed.  It was a bit interesting to see the process of being King. 

I was up fairly early this morning, watching on this computer.

Fascinating to me, really.
I'm not terribly familiar with all the politics and antics and shenanigans of the Royals, the ex-Royals, and all the strap hangers and reprobates involved with the Royal Family, quite honestly. Not beyond what I see in headlines that I normally ignore on the computer news feeds. 

(Well. Except for Prince Andrew. I have close friends who attended a dinner where he was the 'honorable host' to a world championship of helicopter flying, back in the 1980's. My friends reported that he was an arrogant, pompous, abusive A$$hole, and everyone there hated him. Especially the kitchen staff.)

I have served with quite a few British Exchange Officers over the years. and I always respected their reverence for the Queen. And more recently, their sadness at the passing of Her Majesty.

The history and time-honored ceremonies and rituals I watched this morning though.
Really interesting to me.

🤨

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

I don't have any strong opinions about the royal family, the politics, ethics and economics.

I did think the whole thing was a bit comical, almost pythonesque. What's with all the pretending it's the 15th century? Prancing about in stupid outfits and waving ceremonial objects. Makes no sense to me. It's 2023. Could have been an email. 

Tax payer money. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Farnsbarns said:

I don't have any strong opinions about the royal family, the politics, ethics and economics.

I did think the whole thing was a bit comical, almost pythonesque. What's with all the pretending it's the 15th century? Prancing about in stupid outfits and waving ceremonial objects. Makes no sense to me. It's 2023. Could have been an email. 

David Starkey (Historian and presenter of the Monarchy series) said today it was like they were stepping out of an illuminated manuscript. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Murph said:

I think it's good to take pride in one's country, state, village and such.

Our King (president) couldn't draw a crowd that size if Elvis came back to life and opened for him...

Aint that the truth, and he wouldn't know what country he's in either.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I watched a few minutes. I read yesterday Meghan wants to take down the Royal family.. Does that mean she wants to take down Harry & her kids too.. The Press refers to them as Prince & Princess..

I have respect for Elizabeth & William as both Served their Country. What has Charles ever done?

They didn’t make Queen Elizabeth’s husband King? I’m surprised Camilla is Queen? What happens when Charles passes? Will she rule? What about William?

3 hours ago, kidblast said:

Aint that the truth, and he wouldn't know what country he's in either.  

Talk about pride in one's country.  🙄

Now, THERE'S another one who drank large gulps of the wrong Kool-Aid.  [wink]

Whitefang

My mom would say you guys need to stop watching TV and go outside and play.  And if you just complain all the time nobody will like you.  😁

England has the Earl of Sandwich.  We have the Doofus of Downstate.  Whatever.

Edited by badbluesplayer
  • Like 1

(Well. Except for Prince Andrew. I have close friends who attended a dinner where he was the 'honorable host' to a world championship of helicopter flying, back in the 1980's. My friends reported that he was an arrogant, pompous, abusive A$$hole, and everyone there hated him. Especially the kitchen staff.)

If you want to see how arrogant Andrew is, you just need to watch his TV interview, he clearly believes everyone else is thick, and quotes conditions that any medical person could question the validity of showing how much he's prepared for the interview (and did I mention I was a war hero?).

I remember my grandmother sitting in a straight back chair watching Elizabeth’s coronation when I was 6.  She immigrated from England 40 years earlier.  
i  remember watching Diana’s funeral. 
I watched Charles’ coronation because it symbolizes the traditions of a once great world empire. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I watched a few minutes. I read yesterday Meghan wants to take down the Royal family.. Does that mean she wants to take down Harry & her kids too.. The Press refers to them as Prince & Princess..

I have respect for Elizabeth & William as both Served their Country. What has Charles ever done?

They didn’t make Queen Elizabeth’s husband King? I’m surprised Camilla is Queen? What happens when Charles passes? Will she rule? What about William?

No, If he dies, my wife was telling me,  they will remove her crown and make Charles son King.

35 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I remember my grandmother sitting in a straight back chair watching Elizabeth’s coronation when I was 6.  She immigrated from England 40 years earlier.  
i  remember watching Diana’s funeral. 
I watched Charles’ coronation because it symbolizes the traditions of a once great world empire. 

I dont think thats much to be proud of. It was done through exploitation and slavery.. The quicker we move on from this stuff the better.

9 hours ago, Rabs said:

I dont think thats much to be proud of. It was done through exploitation and slavery.. The quicker we move on from this stuff the better.

I can't disagree.  Although it was a couple of centuries ago  =  stealing the Irish farms, selling their  crops and produce  to Europe during the entire continent's potato blight, and then blaming the famine that killed 4 million on the 'potato',  was, in my opinion, what caused the British Empire to slowly wither and die.  When you lose your moral compass ...