Gibson Brands Forums

Well, the next week or so is going to be un-fun.

ksdaddy

After getting progressively worse for the past 10 years I'm going in tomorrow for the green light laser surgery to zap out some excess material in the prostate. Age 55, BPH, on medicine for almost 10 years, typical scenario. I have no idea what a full nights sleep would be like. The concept is completely alien to me now. An hour or two at a time is the best I can do.

Could think of it as routing a Les Paul Deluxe out for a full size humbucker I guess.

I will be out of course, but I will have a catheter for about a week and I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS.

Anyone else ever have this done?

I've been offered a similar procedure, but so far after some 10 years or so my pharmaceutical regimen continues to work well enough to allow me to skip the big zap.

While I find it difficult to believe I am posting this kind of info in public, I do wish you complete success in the procedure, as well as recovery.

As my urologist occasionally reminds me, aging is not for sissies.

Many prayers and blessings ks...

I've been offered a similar procedure, but so far after some 10 years or so my pharmaceutical regimen continues to work well enough to allow me to skip the big zap.

While I find it difficult to believe I am posting this kind of info in public, I do wish you complete success in the procedure, as well as recovery.

As my urologist occasionally reminds me, aging is not for sissies.

Many prayers and blessings ks...

You might find that your urologist actually said, "ageing is not for pisses" [crying]

First and by a long way foremost I wish you a speedy, painless (as can be) recovery to fuller-than-you-ever-expected return to health, ksd!

[thumbup]

...but I have to admit I find this post slightly scary because I'm the same age (give or take) as most of the respondents yet I have absolutely no idea what you are all talking about....

Is this something I have to 'look forward to' in the near future?.................:-s

What is/are BHP?..............[blink]

Why might the prostate need to have "excess material" zapped?..................[omg]..........................[scared]

I wish I hadn't read this thread just before heading up to the "Land of Nod"...................:unsure:

Pip.

After getting progressively worse for the past 10 years I'm going in tomorrow for the green light laser surgery to zap out some excess material in the prostate. Age 55, BPH, on medicine for almost 10 years, typical scenario. I have no idea what a full nights sleep would be like. The concept is completely alien to me now. An hour or two at a time is the best I can do.

Could think of it as routing a Les Paul Deluxe out for a full size humbucker I guess.

I will be out of course, but I will have a catheter for about a week and I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS.

Anyone else ever have this done?

God do I hate catheters.

My sympathys.

....I have absolutely no idea what you are all talking about....

If you aren't fully aware of this malady then you are one of the lucky ones.

It happens gradually and maybe the first couple years you don't think much about it...maybe after 3-4 years you finally mention it to your doctor, who nod knowingly and possibly put you on medicine to shrink the prostate (takes a long time to even see any effect and most of the time merely slows the growth as opposed to shrinking it. That, and maybe another medicine to relax the bladder. That helps.

You go pee a lot. A lot more than when you were younger. And a full night's sleep is a thing of the past. If I can go 2 hours, I'm doing well. I'm used to going back to bed and dropping off to sleep with no issue but I think my quality of sleep has suffered a great deal. I have a half hour lunch. I slam down a sandwich, then set my phone for a 22 minute alarm and try to cat nap in the break room.

And then there's the lovely situation of thinking you're done. But you're not. You discover this as you are walking back to your desk at work. I have made a few quick trips to WalMart to buy a pair of $15 Wranglers.

So if none of this sounds familiar. be thankful.

Sort of in between here. I am aware that things have changed but not to the extent of disturbing my sleep. Chronic insomnia takes care of that. I am very familiar with the "Take 2" cue, though.

Hope all goes well for you. Ask if they have a model with heated bag. I do not envy you. Upon waking after my cervical fusion, I couldn't get that sumb!tch out fast enough.

That damn near caused a liquid projectile of my beverage out my nose.

Sorry to make light of your situation but that was funny!

I feel your pain to a lesser extent. I'm up usually twice a night. Sometime 3 if I have too much tea.

My sleeping has been significantly improved using my CPAP machine. So for the most part I sleep good

until I have to get up to whiz.

Catheters suck. Had one when I had surgery. What the hell is with all the catheter ads on tv?

Do people actually have to self administer them? [scared]

Good luck with it. I really hope it improves things for you.

Good luck mate, lots of people have this procedure with positive results. I'm sure that will be you soon.

May I recommend reading the attached link?

Many other benefits too such as powerful anti inflammatory. (controls my arthritis)

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/amazing-benefits-turmeric-prostate-health/

If you aren't fully aware of this malady then you are one of the lucky ones........................So if none of this sounds familiar. be thankful.

Thanks for the clarification, ksd.

Sounds very unpleasant - not to mention inconvenient (sorry 'bout the bad pun) - and I wish you all the best!

Pip.

Archived