Gibson Brands Forums

Keith Emerson is gone

LPguitarman

A great shame.

The Nice were one of my favourite bands when I was 15 - I saw them 3 or 4 times, and ELP at IOW 1970.

R.I.P.

Wish the Reaper would give it a rest for a bit!

I just read this over on the Gretsch forum. Very sad news. I saw them here in Des Moines many years back during their "Works" tour. They had an 80 piece orchestra with them & it was the singular best concert I ever saw in my entire life. What a terrible loss. [crying]

Aaarrgh, NO!

I feel fortunate to have experienced ELP live twice in the 70s - magnificence.

My condolences to the family - Keith will be blasting on a Norton through the afterlife...

That absolutely sucks! RIP, Keith. I only got to see ELP once in 1995 on a double bill with Jethro Tull. It was the single best concert I've ever seen. ELP actually stole the show, which is saying a lot since Jethro Tull always put on great concerts.

I was just reading further news on his death. It was apparently suicide by a gunshot wound to the head. [crying]

Yup!

Apparently, he's been suffering some never damage issues that have been impeding his keyboard playing... and the prognosis was that it would only get worse. He was depressed over this.

As much as I can understand how much of a blow this would be to someone who depends on his hands to do what he loves, he had had an amazing career, and could have found joy in this as well as other things in life. Very sad.

I was just reading further news on his death. It was apparently suicide by a gunshot wound to the head. [crying]

It's so sad, but I understand he couldn't stand anymore how degenerative nerves in his right hand made playing music impossible to him. I think it was similar as with Danny Gatton in 1994.

I know well how bad it is due to the mayhem my then-wife did to me and on purpose caused an uncurable injury to my right hand. About sixteen months I could neither work nor play guitar when she had ripped apart the suture two days after my carpal tunnel surgery in February 2009. Some of you may remember I posted about it in the past. My whole life is still a struggle through that, and it isn't even sure I may keep my hand until I will pass away.

I will never forget his awesome sound... His in your face synths were an amazing slap in the face to guitar based Rock world...!! When Lucky man came out I couldn't wait for the end of the song to hear that sound, the low end just penetraighted through me and the expression in the melody that followed would leave me spellbound every time... Still does!

It's so sad, but I understand he couldn't stand anymore how degenerative nerves in his right hand made playing music impossible to him. I think it was similar as with Danny Gatton in 1994.

I know well how bad it is due to the mayhem my then-wife did to me and on purpose caused an uncurable injury to my right hand. About sixteen months I could neither work nor play guitar when she had ripped apart the suture two days after my carpal tunnel surgery in February 2009. Some of you may remember I posted about it in the past. My whole life is still a struggle through that, and it isn't even sure I may keep my hand until I will pass away.

That is so sad Capemaster, how terrible and from your own partner too. I do hope your life improves and you get your playing back.

Like you I have experienced lost of playing ability but thanks to a good consultant and some pills I'm playing again as before.

My heart goes out to you. Go well.

Don't need The Word,

now that you've heard -

in%20action_zpsykcdv6ai.jpg

Don't be afraid,

man is man-made;

keith-emerson-1_zps4cttkelx.jpg

and, when the hour comes,

don't turn away - face the light of day...

Keith%20Emerson_zpsxystodcs.jpg

and do it your way -

it's the only way.

I don't know about "Mr Keyboards" I tend to be partial to Rick Wakeman however I really like ELP and thought Emerson was great. So sad with the circumstances surrounding his death.

You're right. Rick Wakeman is my Mr. Keyboards too. Just respecting Mr. Emerson when I posted.

Archived