Gibson Brands Forums

NGD, and it's a weird one

sparquelito

My cardinal rules, and I broke every single one of them this week.

1. Never buy a guitar thru the mail, and always play it in person before you lay down the cash.

CHECK.

2. Not a big fan of Strats, and probably will never own a proper American Stratocaster.

CHECK.

3. Never order anything from the internet when you have had a few too many beers.

CHECK.

And so she arrived today, from Sweetwater.

The brand new, 2017 Fender Limited Edition Sandblasted Stratocaster.

And the verdict is......

Perfection.

Gorgeous, in a perfectly-ugly sort of way.

Set up exquisitely, and plays like a dream. Sounds fantastic.

She will be rocking an enormous outdoor private party on Saturday, and I (and the band) couldn't be happier.

Thank you, Sweetwater, for some seriously excellent customer service this week.

:)

US17019226-angle-large.jpg

US17019226-front-large.jpg

US17019226-backbody-large.jpg

Cool Strat. Interesting finish. I like it. Is it as relieved/textured as it looks?

Also, just curious, is Fender finally wiring them with a tone control on the bridge pickup?

It is very much textured, like a walk across the desert.

But it feels very smooth and ripply under my right forearm.

The bottom tone knob has an interesting feature;

When you roll it to 10, it disables all conventional tone knob features, and delivers loud, crisp, unmitigated twank to your amp.

The middle tone knob is very common, and rolls smoothly up and down, but the bottom one gives with a slight 'click', and allows the bridge pickup to sing.

[scared]

The bottom tone knob has an interesting feature;

When you roll it to 10, it disables all conventional tone knob features, and delivers loud, crisp, unmitigated twank to your amp.

That's a no-load pot and you are correct... it bypasses the tone pot and sends the pickup signal straight to the jack. Since I was curious which pups it controlled, I looked it up. The no-load controls both the middle and bridge pickup tone while the other controls the neck pickup only. Nice feature. [thumbup] The no load might be a little biting on the bridge alone, but it will certainly cut through! It may be really cool on positions 2, 3, and 4.

Thanks, fellows.

I'm really digging this guitar.

I have been steadily endeavoring to sell-off all the flotsam and jetsam in my guitar collection, and to get down to a core seven or eight axes.

I am thinking that maybe this one will be a keeper.

It sure feels right, and sounds really (for a Fender) fat and loud.

And ugly.

Just like my ex-wife.

Only this one loves to be held and fondled.

[blink]

Enjoy Sparky. What I like about it is that you bought it because it appealed to you...on human emotion as opposed to a calculated weighing up of pros and cons, or a financial decision. Kudos for doing what you wanted. That's why I don't get the negativity towards 'relic' guitars or high dollar custom shops or whatever...the main thing is it appeals to your individual senses and surely that epitomises the art over science ethos. [thumbup]

Congrats, Sparky, HNGD! [thumbup]

Sorry that I don't agree with you on her looks - I think she is beautiful [scared][love][biggrin] The blacktop outfit is matching her rural appearance quite nicely! [thumbup]

I also think that the ash body may contribute well to her overall tone.

Have fun rocking that thing, Sparky! :)

Congrats, Sparky, HNGD! [thumbup]

Sorry that I don't agree with you on her looks - I think she is beautiful [scared][love][biggrin] The blacktop outfit is matching her rural appearance quite nicely! [thumbup]

Ha ha ha ha ha!!

I think she is beautiful too.

I tend to use the word 'ugly' in relation to things and people that are just weirdly-attractive, and for which I have great affection.

Now that you mention it, the blacktop outfit really does help to make the guitar.

The edges of the body are very much black, (and almost charcoal-like in appearance) and the black knobs, pick-guard, and pickups just seem to work.

As does the rosewood fingerboard, which I am not normally a fan of.

(I usually favor a plain maple fretboard.)

Speaking of breaking my cardinal rules, I just realized another one:

* Never get a Strat with that oversized, 1970's-style headstock.

CHECK.

Somehow it just works on this particular guitar.

And it has more subtle angles on the backside than I expected.

Speaking of breaking my cardinal rules, I just realized another one:

* Never get a Strat with that oversized, 1970's-style headstock.

CHECK.

Somehow it just works on this particular guitar.

And it has more subtle angles on the backside than I expected.

If she is nicely balanced, there is no functional problem with that. Anyway, I never met a neck-heavy Strat.

It is certainly different, but somehow it works. Definitely a "swamp ash" kinda thing. Main thing is it sounds and feels good to you so you will enjoy it. I always felt a strat or tele should have the maple board to have the true Fender feel and tone, but I actually prefer rosewood over ebony on other guitars. Just me.

Funny how in spite of rules sometimes a guitar just gets to you and you have to have it. One thing about Sweetwater they really go over the guitars and check them and they are always set up well right out of the box.

Congrats and have fun Saturday rockin' out with that thang. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Archived