Gibson Brands Forums

What made you happy today?

Notes_Norton

8 hours ago, Retired said:

Really? I wouldn't have thought fires rage in winter like you said. Yeah, This house were in now was erected in 1890. It was passed down only to family. According to good years and crops, and they added on to it.  Deb & I were the first ones outside the original family to get it. We're asked all the time, when we will sell it as people are just waiting to bid for it.  I'll be outside mowing when a car will stop and talk to me. 

There are in fact more house fires in the winter due to  use of unsafe heating units (Space heaters, incorrect extension cords to power them) and things like that..

old houses have stories, some of them have a lot of interesting ones.

Edited by kidblast

My Musicians Gear SGS case came today, it is very similar to my Epiphone Deluxe SG case, looks like exactly the same hardware, same size but slightly different design and also fits my Tele very nicely. So now I have 3 SG cases  for 4 guitars.. 

11 hours ago, kidblast said:

There are in fact more house fires in the winter due to  use of unsafe heating units (Space heaters, incorrect extension cords to power them) and things like that..

old houses have stories, some of them have a lot of interesting ones.

Well, that makes since. Space heaters left on. And yep, Should always use a 3 prong cord for the outlet with the ground. I have my 2 amps plugged in a high dollar Monster Power safety whatever you call it. Lol, I can't remember what they are  called now?  Thats probably another fire hazard. Just getting too Old. 

Seeing this from my youth. I loved Curious George as a kid. It makes me laugh. No way this would be printed in today's touchy freely PC world.

MmmITnP.jpg

And I ordered this t-shirt.

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/8617176-frank-zappa-vinyl-record-fan

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I ordered some T shirts in late November. They sent the wrong shirts. Slightly lesser quality.

I had a chat session, they sent it to their 'vendor partner' and the partner sent an auto-responder saying they would contact me in 1-5 days. That didn't happen. Next week I emailed and they sent another 1-5 day auto responder letter. Still nothing.

I'd like either an exchange for the right shirt or the price difference between them. I didn't like being ignored.

I called my credit card company, told them about it, they reversed the charges and said due to COVID and me being such a good credit card customer, I don't even have to return the shirts.

So I have 4 new free Hanes Pocket T shirts. The satisfaction of 'winning' over a company who ignored me is more satisfying than the price of the shirts.

Also, yellow and purple orchids are blooming on the Live Oak tree outside my window, the native honeysuckle is blooming and hummingbirds are enjoying it, plenty of Painted Bunting birds have joined the regulars at the feeder, and my new computer is due to arrive today.

The rest of the day looks happy. I'll spend it with my best-friend/wife/lover/duo-partner we'll probably play some music after lunch.

Life is the perfect way to spend the time of day.

Notes

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

Very cool of you...  I'll be your friend.

Thanks Fester, but be careful a lot of my friends aren't around any more.. 🙂

This new Ebony Coronet is leaning against my old Ampeg with my friends Classic 50 driving it. 

YgVyEGQ.jpg

He said it sounds Killer through this rig..

Also he said it was setup ready to play right out of the box and in tune..

Edited by mihcmac

Eye check-up this morning went well.  My eye pressures are 17 and 18 which is well under the limit (around 22).  Everyone at the health centre was taking precautions of course.

Then - last bit of Xmas shopping.  Impossible to socially distance as everyone else is shopping too, but again everyone was masked.   I hope to stay in now until 2021.[wink]

Got home and the '5 Original Blue Note albums of Dexter Gordon' CD box has finally arrived.  Ace!  Dexter was the tenor player who also acted the lead role in the jazz film "Round Midnight" in the 1980s.  He was very much the real thing and this set is from 1960 to 65 when he was in a good period. 

Also CD-shaped package from my niece which I open as it's not gift wrapped...oh YESSS!  it's Elvin Jones Jazz Machine live in Hamburg 1981....2CD set! Happy Xmas! 

I shall be very happily digging these over Xmas.

[smile]

Edited by jdgm

Left a big box of Christmas cookies with a card addressed to the Post Office telling them what a great job they did this year and how much I appreciate their service.

I was going to leave a 6 pack with a bow on it but we did have lots of cookies so cookies it is.

If there's any bunch of people who deserve our thanks during the pandemic, it's USPS, FedEx, UPS, all of those guys dragging big boxes through the diseased air we inhabit, ha, ha.

Edited by SteveFord
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

For yesterday, I had not played in a week, and I figured that I would really need a long warm-up to get up to snuff.  So I was dreading plugging in a bit, but I was playing very well immediately.  What a nice surprise.   So instead of needing a "long warm up", I was killing it right off the bat, playing particularly well.  

Also ... I heard the Beatles' "Dear Prudence" yesterday that features John's fingerpicking that he learned how to do from Donovan when they were all over in India on the trip to enlightenment.  "Prudence" is Prudence Farrow (Mia Farrow's sister) who was also there on this trip but was holed up by herself in her room, and never around.  Bonus fun fact: the session for John's "Hey Bulldog" featured Paul on drums, Nicky Hopkins on keyboards, and Jeff Beck on guitar.  I did not know that.  But, anyway, I am going to try to learn "Dear Prudence" today.  Wish me luck ...

Every year my wife and I have a paella party, and this year we expect to have four or five couples join us for the event. For those who don't know what paella is, it's kinda like a stone soup using "bomba" rice to replace the water (though the rice is cooked on chicken broth). It's cooked in a huge, shallow pan that perfectly fits on our Weber grill, and it can be made using many different ingredients. Ours will have Chorizo sausage, boneless chicken thighs, shrimp, and clams in addition to the standard rice and peas concoction. It will be  served with salad, and Sangria, wine, beer, or lemon water.  This will be our first real party in over a year. It will be outside, of course, and the temp.s are expected to be between 68-72 F. ... perfect. Now... what will the music be?

rick-stein-spain-4-1afbbefc-80de-4aaa-85

Edited by zigzag
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Waking up alive.  [wink]

Whitefang

Yes absolutely. 

15 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Now... what will the music be?

"Arroz Con Pollo"("Rice with Chicken")  by Sonny Rollins. [cool]

• Like 2

What made me happy today?

1. I woke up today
  2. Mrs.Notes woke up today too
  3. There is a mockingbird singing away outside my window
  4. I finished another style for Band-in-a-Box yesterday, and I'll work on the intros and endings today

There's more.

Happy is my normal state. Actually a better answer is: "Nothing happened to make me unhappy today."

Insights and incites by Notes

23 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

... I heard the Beatles' "Dear Prudence" yesterday that features John's fingerpicking that he learned how to do from Donovan when they were all over in India on the trip to enlightenment.  "Prudence" is Prudence Farrow (Mia Farrow's sister) who was also there on this trip but was holed up by herself in her room, and never around.  Bonus fun fact: the session for John's "Hey Bulldog" featured Paul on drums, Nicky Hopkins on keyboards, and Jeff Beck on guitar.  I did not know that.  But, anyway, I am going to try to learn "Dear Prudence" today.  Wish me luck ...

I made pretty good progress on "Dear Prudence".  I chose this song particularly based on my fingerpicking skills have well diminished from what they used to be, and I would like to resurrect this semi-lost skill of mine.  I am concentrating now on just getting the song's fingerpicking pattern into muscle memory.  Definitely not there yet, but getting there.   :   )

380e5f275ff2efc34c521ca490114e8d.jpg

• Like 1