Gibson Brands Forums

Can't decide Les Paul R8 vs PRS DGT

Done a little video for tone comparison (also in the mix). Main point for Gibson - it will definitely hold better its value. Plus that sound! Main point for PRS - a better playability, less prone for headstock brake (for a 5K guitar I think it's important) and the trem, although it's not that stable. Any thoughts or comments?

Welcome to the forum  Dadgadelectric.

Firstly as this is the Gibson forum your obviously going to get a biased opinion and ultimately it's going to be your choice at the end of the day.

Personally I'd always go for the R8 because as you've already pointed out the resale value of the PRS is never going to be as good (a bloke in a guitar shop told me that this is because the best PRS is always the newest one they've released) and also, despite the PRS's being excellent well made instruments I've always found them to be a little soulless.

Your money, your choice, good luck.    

• Like 1

I never gauge a guitars re-sale value when deciding whether or not to buy it.  if that matters to someone, then they are buying it for all the wrong reasons.  and the only time I've heard of a Les Paul's headstock breaking is due to it falling over. thats either because the owner is an idiot, or it falls into the "SH#@ HAPPENS" category.  

I have a 2008 PRS Custom 24. love it. it's perfect, quality 2nd to none. when I play it I think damn, why do I play anything else ? then I pick up my Les Paul or 335 & think oh, thats why ...

get the one that feels right. don't give a 2nd thought as to what you can sell it for.

Edited by Karloff
  • Thanks 1

Based on that video, I liked the way the R8 sounds with that rig the player was using; I did not care for the tones the PRS produced. I have an R7 goldtop - which I believe is constructed like an R8 without the plain top - and this guitar is top notch. 

If you’re worried about resale, buy used. You won’t take as big a hit when you resell. This goes for the PRS if you decide to go to the dark side haha! Nah I know PRS makes good guitars and those that play them swear by them as well. 

Same story different post, you need to try a guitar out and see if you like it… The video probably didn’t do justice to either guitar IMHO. Can’t speak for the video’s audio quality, the rig used and the settings… 

Edited by NighthawkChris

4 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Maybe I don't drink enough or something but I've never broken a headstock in nearly 40 years of owning Gibsons.

Caught a few on their way down popping off a strap button, though.  Think fast!

Same here.  Just be careful with your baby.😄

No interest at all in either. I have an LP that I'm very happy with for its tone, playability, build quality, and looks, and I've never GASsed for a PRS, esp. one with a trembar.  As far as the sound of a PRS, what some describe as lifeless, others describe as bright and articulate, so I guess that's an individual preference. Would I take a PRS if someone gave it to me? Hell, yeah I would, and I'd play the hell out of it.

I have both. Though I sold on a PRS CE24 (among others) this year. I've no plans to sell either of my Gibsons. Does that mean I think Gibsons are better than PRS? No it doesn't. 

TBH, a large factor in the sale of my USA PRS was that it was inferior to the much cheaper Korean SE one I still have & use. 

A large amount of players become transfixed by tradition, image, and most of all their heroes. This binds them to certain guitars. Eg: They know what they believe a Gibson LP should and does sound like. They do not know what to expect a PRS to sound like, because their music collection (among other things) doesn't reflect that. However PRS guitars do have a characteristic sound. But all the while you use a Les Paul as a tone yardstick, that will never be realised, understood or even heard. 

If you can do it at all, I recommend trying to appreciate a guitar for what it is, rather than what you think it should be. 

• Like 1

Honestly I hate all the points brought up by the OP..

if the PRS “plays better” then why not find a different LP to compare? 

What is the logic behind the headstock break thing and why is that relevant? 

Resale value is the best thing going for the Gibson??

• Thanks 1

I know very little about either but:

1. Looks wise - indubitably les paul

2. Weight wise-ask your body.

3. Whichever has the shorter scale if you are under 5’9” tall.

4. Going into the guitar purchase while pondering resale value is like going into a marriage with a prenup. Wrong attitude. You are already thinking you might split up. Obviously the (ahem) “guitar” isn’t compelling enough to you for that “I’ll never sell it” abandon one needs  for a better or worse commitment from you so you should keep looking before committing. Ok not a great analogy but you get my drift.

5. Put a dusenberg les trem on the les Paul and you got yourself a vibrato.

Edited by Lungimsam
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 8:39 AM, Karloff said:

the only time I've heard of a Les Paul's headstock breaking is due to it falling over. thats either because the owner is an idiot, or it falls into the "SH#@ HAPPENS" category.  

Well, I am an idiot, but my LP headstock break falls into the SH@# HAPPENS category. [cool]

• Haha 1

The R8 ... and it is not even close.  Why?  Because it is a better guitar.  As stated earlier, the headstock breaking issue is wayyyy over blown, and the Gibson "re-sale value" is just a bonus.  And if you want to save a couple of grand and STILL get a guitar better than the PRS, you can go with a Les Paul Standard-Slash or a Les Paul Standard-50s.  

8_Full_Left_Front_43765-0370b40e25acf69b