Gibson Brands Forums

Do you get music stuck in your head?

Rabs

Does this happen with you guys too?  I am always getting odd stuff stuck in my head and it just goes round and round and round...  Can be very annoying sometimes it can be something from and advert or some TV from years ago... Its just very random..

This is one of the weirder ones that often gets stuck in my head

At the moment its this song,  But its not the whole song, its just like the first four lines of the song with the main riff and it just goes on and on and on for like two days now..

Edited by Rabs

Just now, LPguitarman said:

Yes, all the time.  I think musicians, especially, have it because they are always listening, or trying to learn the next song, etc...  For me, someone just has to mention a song and I'm stuck with it in my head until I force it out by picking another song .

Ha, yes exactly..  When its really getting to me I use AC/DCs Thunderstruck.. Its usually good at blowing the other songs out..

Can be really annoying sometimes though, especially when its something really random.

• Like 1

Now that I'm older there are a couple which are in my LP collection but I cannot identify what they are from the fragment I keep 'replaying'.  I've got a horn section line which is at the end of a song and I know I've got it - or had it - and don't remember what it is.    So yes, this x 10 and it's often something weird or half-fogotten that you don't even like, as you point out. 

The ultimate is to be able to just pick up your guitar and play that riff or phrase etc.  I can do that now sometimes.   I used to get stuck on the Alan Freeman 'Pick Of The Pops' theme (I discovered it's called 'At the Sign Of The Swinging Cymbal'!) and I finally got my guitar and worked it out recently.  Now I don't 'hear' it nearly so often.

• Like 1

yes, I sure do..

the last one was a few weeks before Christmas.. 

We were playing cards with the Grand kids,

"I want a hippopotamus for Christmas"  popped up on my wives pandora feed.......

Trust me....... you don't ever want this song running on a loop in your head... 

I thought I was going to go mad..  lasted a few days.. but luckily for me,  Dominic the Christmas Donkey came up on the feed, and the Hippo song set sail..

yea.. that wasn't good either..

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

Now a few days would not be bad but I have had songs stuck in my head for Months. Especially when learning one.  Then there is the wife, At times, I wonder why I ever married?  She goes over and over and over again every day singing the same old song and I wonder if it's to irritate me? Lol. One that really irritated me was when Grayson was a baby.  She sang him to sleep every day with; "Head shoulders knees and toes, (That repeats twice,) Eyes and ears and mouth and nose, Head shoulders knees and toes." I'm talking every day for a year or two. 

Earworms can be very annoying. jdgm's solution is interesting and never occurred to me. I liked listening to Alan 'hello pop-pickers' Freeman's theme, but baulked at the prospect of exposing myself to the 'Littlest Hobo' again.

I have a solution that works sometimes. Re-arrange the tune into something else in your head. Imagine a big band version, change the time signature to a waltz 3-4. Imagine a tango arrangement. The absolute best one was a yodelling version of 'the Hallelujah Chorus'. It was funny and it stopped it too.

At the moment it is “All I ever need is you” by Sonny & Cher. Unprovoked, know not whence it came. Such is the nature of earworms. 

One of my twisted pleasures is singing a piece of a song in the presence of the intended victim in hopes of planting the earworm seed. 

Zombie by the Cranberries works every time. 

9 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

At the moment it is “All I ever need is you” by Sonny & Cher. Unprovoked, know not whence it came. Such is the nature of earworms. 

One of my twisted pleasures is singing a piece of a song in the presence of the intended victim in hopes of planting the earworm seed. 

With their tanks and their guns and their bombs . . . Zombie Zombie 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

RCT  has been known to do that on long road trips with the windows locked up after lighting a Dutch Oven. 

2 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Some of the music that gets stuck in your head can drive you nuts!!!

Sure.  That's the devious evil of earworms.   

Y'all DO notice that most of the time, the tune stuck in your head is something you don't and never have liked, right?  [wink]

Whitefang

What's the ugliest par-rt
Of your body? (Nanana na na na)
(Weeweewoo) of your body?
(Naw naw naw naw)

Some say your nose (hey)
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Edited by mihcmac

10 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Of your body? (Nanana na na na)
(Weeweewoo) of your body?
(Naw naw naw naw)

Some say your nose (hey)
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

We're Only In It For The Money is one of my fav of the first 7 or so of Zappa albums.

I get the ear worm almost every day.  It seems it is whatever song I may hear first that day gets stuck in my head.  If I have to get up early to the radio alarm, whatever song is playing that wakes  me up sticks in my head.  The worst part is I unconsciously whistle the tune over and over and I don't even realize that I'm doing it.  Other times I get in the car and turn on the XM radio and I usually listen to classic rewind or the channel next to it.  They play songs that I know from my past so it is real easy to get them stuck and repeat them over and over.  Mine are usually songs I am familiar with, but some are weird like something from My Fair Lady that I heard when I was a kid or something my parents played on the record player. 

Or if I don't hear any music for a good part of the day and then maybe go to the grocery store and there is some familiar tune on the Muzak in the store, I'll come out and whistle that one all the way home.  If I notice that I'm doing it (which most of the time I don't) I can change the song by humming or whistling something else, but then that sticks until I change it.  I guess there are worse things to deal with.  I personally don't mind it that much, but I feel sometimes I drive other people a little crazy.  I tend to do it on the golf course between shots and  sometimes my partner will say "what is that I sort of recognize it".  Again, I don't even realize I'm doing it, the last time one of my buddies asked me it was an instrumental phrase from some Jethro Tull tune? 

Edited by Twang Gang

I had a song stuck in my head yesterday. 
Most maddening and vexing it was.

I would share with you what that song was, but then it would be stuck in YOUR head, and then you would go insane, and hunt me down and kill me. 

So. 
I'm just going to keep it to myself. 
😐

dbap0qc-8989661d-ac80-4bc1-be1c-cdc29890

On 2/3/2022 at 8:21 PM, kidblast said:

yes, I sure do..

the last one was a few weeks before Christmas.. 

We were playing cards with the Grand kids,

"I want a hippopotamus for Christmas"  popped up on my wives pandora feed.......

Trust me....... you don't ever want this song running on a loop in your head... 

I thought I was going to go mad..  lasted a few days.. but luckily for me,  Dominic the Christmas Donkey came up on the feed, and the Hippo song set sail..

yea.. that wasn't good either..

"I want a Hippopotumus for Christmas, Only a Hippopotamus  will do!"  Lol.  Yeh, I love that one around Christmas. 

11 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Sure.  That's the devious evil of earworms.   

Y'all DO notice that most of the time, the tune stuck in your head is something you don't and never have liked, right?  [wink]

Whitefang

Mostly if Debbie instigates the kids songs. She is always playing them in her car over and over again and again for the grandkids going someplace. Makes me want to get out of the car. But other than that, It is me learning a new song and practicing it over and over again till I get it right.  But at least it is a song I like and not them singing over and over again, "We're going to the zoo and you can come to." Ever how that one goes?