Gibson Brands Forums

J-15 Has Opened Up Quite Nicely.

Murph

Mine's a 2017. I've owned several walnut guitars and always loved the tone. Chunky. I guess the J-15 has been discontinued and that's a shame, they are a really good guitar for the money. The tone is not as complex as my old J-45 Rosewood/ebony, but sometimes you just want "chunky".

This was recorded with an antique ipad mini, at least 15/18 feet away in the middle of the woods with no mics/no electricity. It's become quite the cannon. I used the Gibson strings until they changed, have used GHS Brite 80/20 Bronze (12-54) ever since. Sorry the playing is so sloppy, this was recorded last fall and the temp was in the 40's. Old fingers...

Edited by Murph
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words.

What was the reasoning behind dropping the J-15? Pretty much everybody except Hogeye loves them. I'm sure the margins weren't much due to the price, however it built more interest and long term customers. Plus they were "Merican."

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

I'd say you've been practicing a bit out on the front porch of your cabin during your sabbatical!   Cold, old fingers still work fine!   Your hippy git teacher would be proud!

Well played...

It is great to hear ya and that you seem to be back and ready to party.

I never really got the opening up stuff though.  As has been said, it does take a guitar a while to figure out is is no longer a tree but I have always seen that as really just settling in.   Part of though could be that after you have lived with a guitar for a while and learn what it can do your ears just start picking up on more of what it has to reveal.

4 hours ago, Murph said:

Thanks, all.

So...

Why was the J-15 dis-continued ?

Sales? Not enough profit margin? The new leadership wanted to go with the more classic line up? Who know why Gibson does what they do, I guess cause they can.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper