Gibson Brands Forums

So, what is your #1 guitar?

Guitar God

7 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

Does your LP Classic have the 496R/500T pickups in it?  Those are the stock pickups in my 2003 LP Classic and I like them.

Yes exactly.. The ceramic twins...  Some find them too hot, but being brought up on 80s hard rock/metal, as I said, they give me that sound I want (and I have  a Slash amp too 🙂 )..  

10 hours ago, nhwildbill said:

My # 1 is my 1997 Les Paul Studio with P94 pickup.  A GC LTD Ed guitar, it has great growl and tone.

Impulse buy years back, fell in love with her on first sight.

2020-01-12-1997-Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-0

Very nice.  I have two LPs with humbuckers, but none with P-90s/P-94s.  I have an SG with P-90s and love the tone and can only imagine how sweet an LP sounds with them.

3 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Yes exactly.. The ceramic twins...  Some find them too hot, but being brought up on 80s hard rock/metal, as I said, they give me that sound I want (and I have  a Slash amp too 🙂 )..  

I was debating between an LP Standard and the Classic.  I bought the Classic because I had an LP Special with the 490R/498T and wanted something with more balls.   Problem solved.  I’d read reviews from some who thought the 496R/500T were too harsh, but I have liked them and never had any desire to swap them out.  Plus the open coils gives it an aggressive look.

6 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

I was debating between an LP Standard and the Classic.  I bought the Classic because I had an LP Special with the 490R/498T and wanted something with more balls.   Problem solved.  I’d read reviews from some who thought the 496R/500T were too harsh, but I have liked them and never had any desire to swap them out.  Plus the open coils gives it an aggressive look.

For me it was all about the neck.. I had a studio previously and it had a 50s neck which I always had a slight issue with .. When I went to buy my first Standard level guitar and tried it in the shop, I was quite disappointed that it seemed even harder to play than my studio. I knew nothing about the differences between the guitars back then and mentioned what I though to the shop owner who then produced the Classic. Man what a difference it made and I never looked back (in terms of neck profile)... Or I would have just got a Standard cos thats what I thought I wanted (and of course they are cheaper than Standards, was a win win) (and it looks a fair amount like one of Slash's guitars with the uncovered pickups too).

Edited by Rabs

24 minutes ago, Rabs said:

For me it was all about the neck.. I had a studio previously and it had a 50s neck which I always had a slight issue with .. When I went to buy my first Standard level guitar and tried it in the shop, I was quite disappointed that it seemed even harder to play than my studio. I knew nothing about the differences between the guitars back then and mentioned what I though to the shop owner who then produced the Classic. Man what a difference it made and I never looked back (in terms of neck profile)... Or I would have just got a Standard cos thats what I thought I wanted (and of course they are cheaper than Standards, was a win win).

My LP Special has the 60s slim taper neck so the Classic felt the same and what I was used to.   All of my Gibsons are some variation of the 60s neck and that was all I had played for many years.  

Oddly enough, I bought an Ltd 7 string guitar back in 2015 and an Ibanez 6 string bass in 2018.  So now I transition back and forth from the Gibsons with the slim profile to the Ltd and Ibanez with wider neck profiles and fretboards the size of aircraft carrier flight decks.  I have debated getting a 50s neck on any new Gibsons in the future.  But the slim taper Gibsons still feel good in my hands.  

Edited by tx-ogre

MY # 1 would have to be my 2000 Gibson Gary Moore signature LP (not a BFG model).  I believe this was the first model to be equipped with burst-bucker pups.  It's basically an LP studio with a  Classic neck profile, no binding, and a flamed lemon top

I have a good sized Tool box with many different Guitars.. All shapes, sizes & price points..

But, for me, It’s a Guitar I’ve owned for 47 years.. My Girl friend, now my Wife, bought me a new 1975 Martin D-35.. It is a Fabulous Treasure to me.. Just like her…….

54 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I have a good sized Tool box with many different Guitars.. All shapes, sizes & price points..

But, for me, It’s a Guitar I’ve owned for 47 years.. My Girl friend, now my Wife, bought me a new 1975 Martin D-35.. It is a Fabulous Treasure to me.. Just like her…….

How do you fit a guitar in your tool box?

There is one saying about a D-35, you have one, or you don't. I had two, both were killer. 

This one. Ric 650 Colorado. 

Why? Its sound is the main one. Those are mini-humbuckers (not the toaster ones that give the characteristic jangle sound). These sound more like P90s I'd say. 

Its a through neck, so resembles a Firebird type build. Its also the reason for the mini HBs, like the Firebird. I get unfettered access to the 24th fret. A big reason its my favourite is the extra wide neck. Its 1.75" inches at the nut. That allows me to do more stuff. I find narrow can necks inhibit certain techniques. 

I also like the look of the cresting wave upper horn.

nwKuBpH.jpg

CytuY6T.jpg

I have another 650. An older Dakota. Its more comfortable, feels nicer and is lighter than the Colorado (which is all maple), but there's still something about this one that keeps it at no: #1

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The one I play the most is an old Fender F-250 I bought in 1982.  My best guitar is a 1974 Les Paul 20th Anniversary which I bought in 1976...but I don't play it anymore.  My favorite is likely to be the guitar whose headstock is pictured in my profile pic - a J45 Deluxe which is due to arrive TOMORROW! 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How do you fit a guitar in your tool box?

There is one saying about a D-35, you have one, or you don't. I had two, both were killer. 

LOL! With Appreciation….

It’s the only Guitar I have that I would never Sell…. 

On 3/16/2022 at 1:18 PM, SteveFord said:

Why, the Firebird VII, of course.

I chased this particular guitar all over the country: everytime I'd get close to begin able to afford it the listing would vanish and then a couple of months later it would pop up again, I'd almost be there and SOLD.  I finally got it but it took around half a year!

It's ridiculously long and my right hand bangs into the twang bar pivot and the pick ups sound ridiculously wimpy but this is the one for me.

Is it my best guitar?  No but it's the one that lives on the stand right next to me and gets played every day.

9IOTju3.jpg

There was a Gibson factory tour the other day on YouTube, where I learned how Firebirds are made, one-piece neck all the way to the end of the body, with added wings for body-volume. The sound coming out of that endless neck, is just WOW!...

My only complaint is the reverse headstock (not of this guitar, but in general). And another one, wtf, it's a Fender headstock. On a Gibson? OK, enough ranting, it's the sound one is always after. And playability is just a function of man/hours one puts into playing it. Gotta put a Firebird on the shopping list... 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 3:23 AM, Guitar God said:

....wanted to know what everyone's #1 guitar is on here....

I gotta go with my Guild JF30-12, followed by the Guild F512, and finally the 2018 Gibson rosewood burst limited edition Songwriter 12-string....

jib793.jpg

fff813.jpg

son513-2.jpg

• Like 6

On 3/16/2022 at 6:37 PM, sparquelito said:

This is tough. 

The one I grab most often is an old beat up Telecaster. 
I love my old beat up Les Paul. 
I have sentimental attachment to those five over there, and I could never part with these six over here. 

If you held a gun to my head, and said, "You are on your way to an important gig, and you can only take one guitar, and so which one is it??" , 
I would very likely reply, 
"It doesn't matter, pick one. I'll make it work, and I will make glorious music with it."

I'm at the point in my life where every single guitar I own is tied for Number One. 
Spin the bottle. 

I'll kiss whatever girl it points to. 
🤔

M0uVQjT.jpg

In your collection, I would take that Strat hanging on the right wall. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cougar said:

I gotta go with my Guild JF30-12, followed by the Guild F512, and finally the 2018 Gibson rosewood burst limited edition Songwriter 12-string....

jib793.jpg

fff813.jpg

son513-2.jpg

Hi Cougar! Welcome back. I always loved your 12 string Guild.  One of these days, as they say, I will have to get one. Can you believe they don't sell Guild guitars here?  

I only have acoustics and I couldn’t pick just one guitar.  At one time it was easily my Gibson Hummingbird, but over all these years all the other Gibsons have also earned my attention.  My favorite guitar is likely which ever one I happen to be playing.  Today at my weekly gig, I had a blast with my J45TV.  I love all of them.

• Like 1

If you asked me a month ago it was definitely my Gibson Les Paul Special and those fantastic P90s. But about 4 weeks ago I got an Epiphone 1959 Les Paul (with the Gibson USA pickups) and now I’m very conflicted. They’re both so fantastic. 

Edited by DirtyOldCat
  • Thanks 1