Gibson Brands Forums

The Official What Are You Listening To Right Now Thread...

ShredAstaire

Little Feat "Let It Roll" - Craig Lee Fuller joined for this excellent 1988 comeback recording.  Richie Hayward was one of rock's greatest drummers IMO.  Plenty of swamp n' slide guitars.

Spirit "Clear Spirit" - pretty amazing for 1969, the CD version with the extra tracks inc "1984"

Pat Metheny  "Side Eye NYC" - he is an incredibly fluent and melodic guitar player,  smooth but very satisfying on this one

Miles Davis "What It Is" - 1984 concert,  radio broadcast.   I was there! brag! - saw this concert in London, July 1984.  Scofield, Bob Berg on sax, Al Foster and Darryl Jones.  Several live versions of this tune available on CD and various net sources.

Edited by jdgm

• 2 weeks later...

A classic from the late 70s!

"Hangin' Tree" · Norton Buffalo  - on 'Lovin' In The Valley Of The Moon' LP.

[biggrin]    John McFee (Clover, Doobies) plays some beautiful stuff on this record 🎸

Edited by jdgm

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Chapman - "Fully Qualified Survivor".  I have this again on LP courtesy of @merciful-evans and appreciate it much morer now.  Mick Ronson plays some excellent (pre-Bowie) British Blues rock lead.  

Blue Montreux vols 1 & II - 1978 live fusion LPs with the Breckers, Mike Mainieri, Steve Khan, Tony Levin and more.  Precursor to Steps Ahead.  Larry Coryell guests on 2 tracks, on good form.

J.J. Cale - "Grasshopper" his 7th LP.   Features "Downtown L.A."  All beautifully recorded and played.

Ben Webster - "Atmosphere For Lovers And Thieves".  The absolute king of late-night tenor sax.  This album is well-named and he could really play the blues.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, jdgm said:

Michael Chapman - "Fully Qualified Survivor".  I have this again on LP courtesy of @merciful-evans and appreciate it much morer now.  Mick Ronson plays some excellent (pre-Bowie) British Blues rock lead.  

Blue Montreux vols 1 & II - 1978 live fusion LPs with the Breckers, Mike Mainieri, Steve Khan, Tony Levin and more.  Precursor to Steps Ahead.  Larry Coryell guests on 2 tracks, on good form.

J.J. Cale - "Grasshopper" his 7th LP.   Features "Downtown L.A."  All beautifully recorded and played.

Ben Webster - "Atmosphere For Lovers And Thieves".  The absolute king of late-night tenor sax.  This album is well-named and he could really play the blues.

Charlie Parker was always fond of saying the best way to know a good musician is by how good he is playing the Blues. 

Me?  Not listening to anything "right now".  But last night kicked back with}

R-8298654-1458896364-5426.jpeg.jpg

Whitefang

Right now I'm listening to "Give me strength" by Eric Clapton.

On Thursday, I spent about two and a half hours listening to the song and tabbing the intro. (which is as far as I got), and now I'm learning it by playing along to the song over and over.

No phone call yet from Clapton to form another supergroup, but I'm hopeful.

RBSinTo

• Haha 1

I’ve recently discovered Bands from 60’s - 80’s that I didn’t pay much attention to, if at all. I don’t know why? Maybe it was their look? Or they were too commercial? LOL! I don’t know?

Bands pop up on YouTube & I listen to their music.. And there Bands that did some really great Songs! A few come to mind.. The Hollies, The DC5, The Grassroots & The Cars to name a few… More Pop but had great Records.. 

In those days I was into The Beach Boys, The Beatles, The Stones, Yardbirds, Kinks, Hendrix, Love, Cream, Led Zep, Buffalo Springfield, Byrds, Doors & Steppenwolf… And their was so much coming at us from those guys that a lot of other Groups got overlooked.. At least by me.. 

So it’s great to find new Old Music. 🎶 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I’ve recently discovered Bands from 60’s - 80’s that I didn’t pay much attention to, if at all. I don’t know why? Maybe it was their look? Or they were too commercial? LOL! I don’t know?

Bands pop up on YouTube & I listen to their music.. And there Bands that did some really great Songs! A few come to mind.. The Hollies, The DC5, The Grassroots & The Cars to name a few… More Pop but had great Records.. 

In those days I was into The Beach Boys, The Beatles, The Stones, Yardbirds, Kinks, Hendrix, Love, Cream, Led Zep, Buffalo Springfield, Byrds, Doors & Steppenwolf… And their was so much coming at us from those guys that a lot of other Groups got overlooked.. At least by me.. 

So it’s great to find new Old Music. 🎶 

This is a bit of sidetrack, but....

Sticking to one genre always proves to be folly as you learned it causes one to miss out on some pretty good tunes.  Now,  most(at the time) figured the group below was just AM fodder, but we saw them open for Cream on one of their "farewell" tour stops here, and live they were pretty good.

Whitefang

That was a cool Tune too.. Although, me being in Vietnam in ‘68 it didn’t have the same vibe at the time for me!

Here’s The Grassroots doing a medley of some of their Hits.. Which unbeknownst to me were quite a few.. I really like what they did with Horns..

• Like 1

Elvin Jones - 'Remembrance'

Herbie Hancock - 'Future Shock' (brilliant mad Pete Cosey solo) and 'Getting To The Good Part' off 'Light Me Up'

Elmore James - 'To Know A Man'

'Guitar Player' - 1976 compilation on MCA with tracks by Lee Ritenour, B.B.King, Joe Pass, Coryell, more

6 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Dug this gem up recently.

7559588712_0efff3c486.jpg

Whitefang

What in the hell are the Authentic Bach Tunings. Is it like the Nick Drake tuning for Pink Moon or the Bruce Palmer Modal Tuning for Suite Judy Blue Eyes? I thought JSB played a harpsichord?