Gibson Brands Forums

Your Forum Name? Why That One?

Digger

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the stone ages of the Internet, we didn't have these wonderful forums. Instead we had the newsgroups (usenet). Anyone remember usenet? Good conversation but little or no spam control.

I 'joined' an alt.______ newsgroup, and there was a Robert Norton and a Bob Norton already posting (popular name I guess). (alt._______ could have been alt.saxophone, alt.binaries.midi, alt.band.in.a.box or another - it's been too long to remember which one.)

My sister's business partner used to call me "Notes" because I'm a musician, so I took "Notes Norton" as my usenet name so that my posts wouldn't be confused with the others.

Then along came the Internet, and people already knew me as "Notes_Norton" so why change it?

BTW, the avatar is myself and my wife from our promo picture back in the 1980s. Since then my beard has turned grey but the duo is still going strong so why change the picture?

Here we are now, playing at our weekly outdoor gig. It's the actual birthplace of the US Navy SEALS, the building is historic (it was the guard house) and the stuff on the walls was left by retired SEALS. They come once a year for a reunion (annual muster). You can see I've aged, but Leilani hasn't (Am I lucky or what?)

x_Jim_cats_Mary_Jane_Clark.jpg

Insights and incites by Notes

Very interesting stories to read. Mine is very simple. My real name is Floyd after my dad. He was sr. And I was jr. My mother hated that name and so I was named Butch from birth and it stuck. So that is my nickname. When I first signed on here, I just retired from the railroad and was so exited about it that it was the first name I tried and it was accepted. Butch 53 was going to be my 2nd choice being my birthdate. My avatar has changed from my GT, to it besides my Epiphone and Shere Kahn from Jungle Book, since I am an artist and have drawn things from cartoons to horses, wildlife, scenery, planes, trains, Portrait, ect. When I was in the 3rd grade, my teacher kept me in from Recess for a week to draw a battle scene for her. At that age, I felt that I was being punished but art has been my life.

Back in the stone ages of the Internet, we didn't have these wonderful forums. Instead we had the newsgroups (usenet). Anyone remember usenet? Good conversation but little or no spam control.

I 'joined' an alt.______ newsgroup, and there was a Robert Norton and a Bob Norton already posting (popular name I guess). (alt._______ could have been alt.saxophone, alt.binaries.midi, alt.band.in.a.box or another - it's been too long to remember which one.)

alt.guitar, alt.guitar.amps, and rec.music.makers.guitar were the apex of usenet guitar tomfoolery, literally a thousand or more posts a day back then, before the Harmony Central Guitar Forum took off. Like, mid 90s. Good times indeed.

rct

My other hobby is antique snowmobiles.....I'm from New Hampshire.....when I got into the hobby, the hobby was focused in the upper mid west.......MN, WI, MI, etc.

I'd travel to shows out in NY and there were not that many other people from New Hampshire making the journey, so I'd always be referenced as "Tom from New Hampshire"(like there was only one) which eventually led to New Hampshire Tom.........easier to sign as just NHTom.

NHTom

PS..............I was going to go with my other nickname...."Stunningly Handsome, Brilliant, Talented, and Funny Tom", but I thought it might be too much.... \:D/

In the early 90's a buddy of mine was playing bass in a cover band called The Lost Boyz and practiced at the drummers(Mike) house whose girlfriend didn't know me. My buddy,(Dan) calls me to see if I wanted to go over, watch them jam have a few beers. I say sure and he asks me if I could grab them a case on my way. Anyway, Mike's girlfriend (who was going out for the evening with friends)overhears Mike ask Dan if Brian(myself)is coming over. Dan says yeah and Mike says "right on" [thumbup] Mike's girlfriend comes into the room ,pissed :angry: and says "Who's this Brian that you guys are talking about. I never heard of him before. I'm not stupid ,I know what it is, it's code name for chicks [-X , you got chicks coming over". Of course the guys found this quite humorous [lol] When I got there the guys yell out " Code Name! ". True story.

In the early 90's a buddy of mine was playing bass in a cover band called The Lost Boyz and practiced at the drummers(Mike) house whose girlfriend didn't know me. My buddy,(Dan) calls me to see if I wanted to go over, watch them jam have a few beers. I say sure and he asks me if I could grab them a case on my way. Anyway, Mike's girlfriend (who was going out for the evening with friends)overhears Mike ask Dan if Brian(myself)is coming over. Dan says yeah and Mike says "right on" [thumbup] Mike's girlfriend comes into the room ,pissed :angry: and says "Who's this Brian that you guys are talking about. I never heard of him before. I'm not stupid ,I know what it is, it's code name for chicks [-X , you got chicks coming over". Of course the guys found this quite humorous [lol] When I got there the guys yell out " Code Name! ". True story.

Okay now, that wins as the best back-story of all!

=D>

BTW, the avatar is myself and my wife from our promo picture back in the 1980s. Since then my beard has turned grey but the duo is still going strong so why change the picture?

Here we are now, playing at our weekly outdoor gig. It's the actual birthplace of the US Navy SEALS, the building is historic (it was the guard house) and the stuff on the walls was left by retired SEALS. They come once a year for a reunion (annual muster). You can see I've aged, but Leilani hasn't (Am I lucky or what?)

You are indeed a blessed man.

My wife would LOVE to play and sing with my band, but alas, she can't play any instruments, and she sings like a rusty hinge.

I love her though, and she is now the band photographer, assistant roadie, and overall groupie.

:unsure:

You just have to use your imagination, and it helps if you drink whilst writing:

The two men huddled in the cold outside the back fence. ,,,,,,,,,,,, and then swiftly moved out into the night.

There were innocent Ibanez’s out there, and they needed defending.

:mellow:

Dude! It's like you know me. lol.. kidding.

The only alter ego super power I have is after a couple of drinks whilst playing,,lol.

Nice writing though. Very creative!

that's funny......

Real life wrote what's probably the funniest story I ever heard! [lol] [lol] [lol]

Mine comes from a joke between me and and my best buddy from Switzerland.

I we laught like crazy when it came up, good times back then.

It is a spanish word just take the dot's and Mr. out and translate it.

[biggrin][thumbup]

Archived