Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

Black Dog

I've been wanting an acoustic to mess around with. I've been reluctant to get a traditional acoustic.because I want something I can play sitting on the couch and I don't think a thick body would be very comfortable. So, I decided I'd try an Ovation shallow body. I got it yesterday and after some setup I really like it. It played fine out of the box but I hated the 12-53 strings. I thought I may not like them so I also got several sets of various lighter strings. What I've ended up with is a set of 9-46 on it. After little truss rod adjustment and lowering the bridge it plays great and sounds really nice. I don't have much experience with acoustics, I'm sure a lot of people will have strong feelings about Ovations but I think this is gonna work for me. Hopefully I won't get flamed too bad.

tFeZ0JP.jpg

that is cool! I had a shallow bowl Legend 12 string, that regrettably had sell (this was some years ago) when times got tight, wish I still had it. Sounded like a carnival!

Recently been considering another 12, and would consider an Ovation as a key contender.

congrats!!!

....I hated the 12-53 strings. I thought I may not like them so I also got several sets of various lighter strings. What I've ended up with is a set of 9-46 on it.

Man, that top is awesome, and ya can't beat an abalone rosette! But those super ultra light strings must take all the oomph out of that guitar! You gotta toughen up those fingers, Dog!

Thanks for all the kind replies.

It's a fun guitar to play. I was worried that the Ovation back, especially with the shallow bowl, would sound thin but I think it sounds pretty good actually. In fact, since I'm not really used to an acoustic it seems really loud to me when I play with a pick so I've ended up playing it fingerstyle which I'm not that great at.

As far as comfort, I do like the shallow body. No slippage problems so far.

As for the finish, pictures don't do it justice (as always). Looks much better in person.

Man, that top is awesome, and ya can't beat an abalone rosette! But those super ultra light strings must take all the oomph out of that guitar! You gotta toughen up those fingers, Dog!

I'm sure it doesn't help the sound at all. Actually the 9-46's on there now are Ernie Ball electric strings. The only 9-46 acoustic I can find are 12 string sets, which I could use and just use 6 of them. But, I do have a couple sets of 10-47s that I'm going to try that are acoustic strings.

I'll have to work my way up to those 12-53 cables...

I play more acoustic than anything these days, but I still do play enough of the others. I use 12s, 13s just won't do me I know without out even trying.

Naturally the the setup has a lot to do with how playable the end result is with the heavier strings. I would bet an acoustic set of 10's would probably work for you for a while. 11s could be your final destination once you get used to it. 12s are not really that bad, but going from only electric to acoustic is a jump a lot of new territory for ya.

For now, use what ever works for you, and just have fun with it.,

Good choice if you're just getting into acoustic from electric. You may find it sounds even better with slightly heavier strings (probably not mediums) as you get more accustomed to acoustic action. Enjoy!

Much love for Ovations hereon.....for good reasons.....

A bold 're-invention' of the acoustic guitar in the late 60's....with some high level users like Glen Campbell, Paul McCartney, Joan Armatrading and later on Brian May.....

Their current offerings MIK are IMO great VFM, play well and look terrific : the onboard electronics including compressor are genuinely usable

Ovation have always been strong in 12 strings.....their current deep bowl contoured back Legend is comfortable and sounds excellent

I also use light gauge nickels on a deep bowl 6 string.....9-42....for easy fingerstyle.....

The lightest brass/bronze 12 strings I can find are 9-46

V

:-({|=

Good choice if you're just getting into acoustic from electric. You may find it sounds even better with slightly heavier strings (probably not mediums) as you get more accustomed to acoustic action. Enjoy!

Yep, I think you're right. It's not just the string gauge it's that plus the action and everything else. It really is a whole different instrument. I am having fun with it. Also, like I said, it's got me playing with my fingers which is good for me.

Archived