Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, labomba said:

Hahaha. Before I retired I was in the antiques and collectibles business and I’d be traveling a lot and I bought her a little .25 auto that she still has. She don’t know where I keep the .357 Lol

Well, that's a big plus. Mine doesn't know the combination to my safe, My home defense is a Raging Judge. Loads 6 of whatever you want to load, 3" - .410 or .45 colt or .454 Casual. But then I'm not getting the strange looks and her watching murder mysteries. Haha. She watches channel 7 and nothing else, whatever comes on 7. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zero TV. For both my wife and myself. (I guess we're weird)

We gigged on cruise ships in the late 1980s. Back then they didn't have TV on the cruise ships so in the 3 years we were out at sea, we didn't watch any TV at all.

When we jumped ship and got home, I hooked up the cable, and found after a few months we were hardly ever watching, and when we were, we felt like we should be doing something more fun than sitting there in front of the tube.

So I disconnected the cable, never hooked up an antenna, and eventually took the mast down. I'm in a fringe area so I get nothing without an antenna. I never even bought a digital converter.

The last two TV shows I watched I had to go to my mother-in-laws to watch (1) Johnny Carson's last "Tonight Show" and (2) Jay Leno's first "Tonight Show". We grew up with the Tonight show so we were curious.

We've heard the names but have never seen Taxi, Cheers, Seinfeld, Simpsons, Idol, Thrones, Sex In The City, Friends, Wire, West Wing, X-files, 30 Rock, Abbey, or anything else in the last 30 years.

Instead I learned to play guitar, learned to write aftermarket style and song disks (now downloads) for Band-in-a-Box, learned to run a mail-order business, when the Internet arrived I learned to make web pages, leaned how to run a dot com business, learned to play wind synthesizer, made over 600 backing tracks for my duo, read a number of books, spent a lot of quality time playing with my wife (we've been goofing off together since we met), and quite a few other things.

My life is better without TV (YMMV)

I found I'd rather live my life by doing things than live my live vicariously by watching actors pretending to do things.

Full disclosure: We have the minimum 1 DVD in the mail per month movie from Netflix. The only time the TV gets turned on is when a CD arrives, and sometimes it sits for weeks before we watch it.

Insights and incites by Notes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont watch much tv as i used to, but when i do i see these Channels: History, Tru Tv, Fox, Gourmet tv,and some local stuff

i am watching more Netflix, HBO go, Plex, and wishing i had more BBC  series

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't watch a lot of tv,but I did watch the democratic debate last night, what a sh1t show that was. We'll be like Germany's pre war economy and pay 460 billion for a loaf of bread if one of them gets in. They think they're playing with Monopoly money.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2020 at 1:29 PM, mihcmac said:

elvira-mistress-of-the-dark.jpg

I had to use 2 towels. She is how they say  - bangin'.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many years ago I spent a winter in Ishpeming, Michigan in the UP, where similar "lake effect" weather occurred.

Not quite like that, but close. My car was buried and I was advised to put a red flag on the rear to keep the snow plow from running it over.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a huge fan of Expedition Unknown. Josh Gates travels the World and shows me places I'll never go to.

I avoid stupid TV, but I enjoy travel and history stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna watch The Ranch on Netflix tonight. Last night it was Survivor. My wife loves it. I watch to have quality time together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2020 at 12:04 PM, Notes_Norton said:

Many years ago I spent a winter in Ishpeming, Michigan in the UP, where similar "lake effect" weather occurred.

Not quite like that, but close. My car was buried and I was advised to put a red flag on the rear to keep the snow plow from running it over.

 

My worst winter was almost like that, Korea in 68 on the DMZ, if it got warm at all in the daytime the mud would freeze solid at night and our trucks would be stuck till we chipped them out. I was very grateful receiving those ugly Christmas sweaters that I wore under my uniform, spent a lot of time out doors. At times I used to breath in through a lit cigarette to keep my lungs from freezing..  I had a great time.. No TV though..

Edited by mihcmac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mihcmac said:

My worst winter was almost like that, Korea in 68 on the DMZ, if it got warm at all in the daytime the mud would freeze solid at night and our trucks would be stuck till we chipped them out. I was very grateful receiving those ugly Christmas sweaters that I wore under my uniform, spent a lot of time out doors. At times I used to breath in through a lit cigarette to keep my lungs from freezing..  I had a great time.. No TV though..

Your winter sounds much worse than mine. Mine was fun.

I was playing music for a living. The lounge was halfway between Northern Michigan University and what was a huge Air Force Base (K.I.Sawyer) so it was  very popular singles bar.  I was young, and the girls were pretty, and some of them very friendly.

We first played there in August for a month (frost on the ground late August) and they asked us back for 3 months in the winter.

We had an apartment upstairs from the lounge, so we didn't have to go out much. But we did anyway because for a Florida guy the snow was fun.  I even went out with a girl and chopped down her Christmas tree. I stood on the banks of a Lake Superior that was frozen to about 1/4 mile from shore and watched the polar bear club, men and women who just came out of a sauna run across the ice and jump in the water.

We even visited the AF Base and jammed with the musicians there. It was against union rules but we didn't figure there would be an AFofM agent on the base.

It snowed every day except for the day that we had freezing rain that coated everything with about a 16th of an inch of ice. It was actually quite interesting.

The worst part of that was when my car broke down somewhere between Ishpeming and Marquette. It was 35 below, gale force winds, and 2 miles to the nearest anything, which was a bowling alley. 4 of us had to walk to shelter and call someone else to get us home. The problem ended up being a loose wire connection in the ignition switch. I was charged for the tow and the problem fixed for free.

Unlike the DMZ, there was little danger of anyone shooting at me. (That happened in Bay City Michigan by the jealous husband of a gal who told our drummer she was single - he actually was hiding in the closet). But that's another road story.

Notes

Edited by Notes_Norton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Your winter sounds much worse than mine.  Mine was fun.

I was playing music for a living. The lounge was halfway between Northern Michigan University and what was a huge Air Force Base (K.I.Sawyer) so it was  very popular singles bar.  I was young, and the girls were pretty, and some of them very friendly.

We first played there in August for a month (frost on the ground late August) and they asked us back for 3 months in the winter.

We had an apartment upstairs from the lounge, so we didn't have to go out much. But we did anyway because for a Florida guy the snow was fun.  I even went out with a girl and chopped down her Christmas tree. I stood on the banks of a Lake Superior that was frozen to about 1/4 mile from shore and watched the polar bear club, men and women who just came out of a sauna run across the ice and jump in the water.

We even visited the AF Base and jammed with the musicians there. It was against union rules but we didn't figure there would be an AFofM agent on the base.

It snowed every day except for the day that we had freezing rain that coated everything with about a 16th of an inch of ice. It was actually quite interesting.

The worst part of that was when my car broke down somewhere between Ishpeming and Marquette. It was 35 below, gale force winds, and 2 miles to the nearest anything, which was a bowling alley. 4 of us had to walk to shelter and call someone else to get us home. The problem ended up being a loose wire connection in the ignition switch. I was charged for the tow and the problem fixed for free.

Unlike the DMZ, there was little danger of anyone shooting at me. (That happened in Bay City Michigan by the jealous husband of a gal who told our drummer she was single - he actually was hiding in the closet). But that's another road story.

Notes


As a Florida guy who has lived here since c. 1972, the above is basically my worst nightmare.

Nookie and jamming excluded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Brian Krashpad said:


As a Florida guy who has lived here since c. 1972, the above is basically my worst nightmare.

Nookie and jamming excluded.

That was when I was a young man, today I think that anything under 70 degrees F is too cold for man or beast.

Snow and ice only belong in two places, either the upper section of your refrigerator or your drink.

But a kid on the road from 18 until my early 20s was a time of my life that when I look back on, I look back on it fondly.

I even got to warm up for headliners of the day in concert about a year after Ishpeming, eventually being the white band in the Motown revue, offered a recording contract and see it disappear when our manager wanted us to get paid more than a pittance. Being treated as a peer from people I heard on the radio when I was up and coming was special.

And the closer we got to stardom, the gigs were better and the girls more plentiful.

And it was before AIDS so anything you could catch would have been curable.

Insights and incites by Notes

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2020 at 2:22 PM, Mr. Gibson said:

I don't watch a lot of tv,but I did watch the democratic debate last night, what a sh1t show that was. We'll be like Germany's pre war economy and pay 460 billion for a loaf of bread if one of them gets in. They think they're playing with Monopoly money.

Hey boss.  There's no politics allowed on here.  Let's everybody do our part to keep this a politics free place. Don't be the only person that's not holding up his end of the bargain.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been watching Hunter with Al Pacino, interesting drama twist on Nazi hunters during the time in the mid 70's when Operation Paperclip was declassified.

Be warned that they don't pull any punches exhibiting the war crimes..

Edited by mihcmac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to love late night TV. Not so much anymore. I saw this old clip of Johnny Carson and it really drove the point home how good it used to be. I was only 5 when this originally aired but still....

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TV went off the air at 11.30pm when Johnny retired.  His time was some seriously good tv.  Sometimes I fire one up on youtube and remember what it felt like in the world when we were watching that the first time.  It is good to be able to see that whenever you want.

rct

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last two TV shows I watched:

1) The last Johnny Carson Tonight Show

2) The first Jay Leno Tonight Show

I actually quit watching in 1986 when I started gigging on cruise ships, but I made a special effort to watch both of those.

I'm sure I'm missing some good stuff now, but frankly, I'm too busy doing things to take the time to watch others.

Notes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

The last two TV shows I watched:

1) The last Johnny Carson Tonight Show

2) The first Jay Leno Tonight Show

I actually quit watching in 1986 when I started gigging on cruise ships, but I made a special effort to watch both of those.

I'm sure I'm missing some good stuff now, but frankly, I'm too busy doing things to take the time to watch others.

Notes

You're not missing a thing. Maybe the Sopranos. That was a great series,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...