Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

jdgm

I need a new camera battery so these are the shop pictures. 

Online (ebay) purchase; I was watching it and the seller made a reduced-price offer.   Guitar delivered less than 24 hours after I clicked, incredibly well packed and padded, double boxed; think it was DPD next day service.  Gigbag and COA included. Strung with Elixir nanoweb 10s.

2013 Gibson ES - 139.  COA says ESSREBNH1 and serial number.  EBony, Nickel Hardware I think but what is ESSR?  Electric Spanish.....?  Hardware is chrome, burstbuckers.

ES137a.jpgES137d.jpgES137c.jpg

ES137b.jpg

Took it out, tuned, played; raised action and tailpiece at least 2mm, fiddled a bit, after a couple of hours it began to open up.  Everything I wanted and expected it to be.   No frills; neck is chubby/chunky like a 50s LP.  Absolutely no fretwear either - this guitar needs playing!

Lower bout is just over 14"  (36cm) and depth 2",  similar to ES336 or 339 I think.   Only mod I am going to do; a black switch tip.   An Epiphone 339/Wildkat case fits according to what I've read so far on t'net.

Quite rare; after a short run in 2013, Gibson decided not to continue producing this model and I read somewhere that only 7 were imported into the UK originally.   I always loved the look of it and the ES body with no f-holes concept, like the 'Lucille'.   I saw a sunburst one go on ebay for under £900 (GBP) in early 2019 - couldn't afford it then.  Gibson produced mirror black versions of all their electrics in 2013 and I remember posting the picture on this forum; I'll post it again if I find it, along with my own pics of this guitar. 

HAD to get this one.  I've seriously depleted my bank account but I only live once and I'm really enjoying it.  Keeper.

Best wishes to all!

🎸[thumbup]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

That's really beautiful, I think this my 4th or 5th or 6th look, it keeps looking better each time. ](*,)

Thankyou and everyone else.

Yup.  And it's great to play now!  I dropped the pickups a bit.

It has those very thin bridge posts with no collar and is seems to me that the bridge is somehow not quite as chunky as they used to be (!) but perhaps that's me.   I don't know what they are made of now?

I'm playing it acoustically when it gets late and it sounds great then too. Tight n' bright.[cool]

Edited by jdgm
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Its like having a date with the Prom Queen.

Well....this is a marriage already.  But you know...a good ngd should always be the start of a long and fruitful relationship; rocky, swinging and really playing the blues. [thumbup]

Possible names so far -

1) Clarion Excelsior Supreme 2013 Superb Ebony Queen of Memphis

2) Darling Chubbykins my Preciousss

3) MoltenRif the mirrorblack, light of night, Lord of the  Aeolians

4) The ES - 139

[biggrin]

I'll have to get a case sometime.  Gigbags....I've got them, I use one if I take 1 guitar and a spare.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

That is cool - enjoy it!  Never ceases to amaze me how many different models Gibson has produced like this one, that just sort of come and go.  I don't remember this one at all.  So it's  hollow?  About how much does it weigh - just curious?  And while it looks a lot like a Les Paul does it have more of a 335/339 tone?  Or maybe an ES Les Paul tone?  Is there a center block?  Unique to say the least.

Edited by Twang Gang

Twang - Here's the blurb from when it 1st appeared -

"The Gibson Memphis ES-139 with the familiar style of the world's greatest guitar, the Les Paul, but at an average weight of 6.5 lbs. and the superior semi-hollow construction which breathes new tonal air into an admired ancestor's appearance. The new single cut body shape looks like Rock, and features 2 Burstbucker Pros, with Stopbar and an ABR bridge with single volume and tone controls. The weight-relieved centerblock goes without f-holes for a high volume performance without feedback problems. Other features are CTS Pots, "Orange Drop" capacitors and a quartersawn maple neck. The ES-139 is 100% American made in Gibson's Memphis Custom Shop."

It certainly sounds ES-y to me and has that B.B. tone in the mid position.  It's bright but I need to play it through an amp louder and longer to find out what it can do.  IMO it's got an ES tone rather than a LP. ...so far.

• Like 1