Gibson Brands Forums

My in laws

Tman

Not sure why I am posting this. I have to tell someone and I'm not on FB or any other social media. Maybe the collective power of good thoughts might make a difference. I'm not religious or I would ask for prayers. This is 100% true. Here goes.

My in laws lived through the Sylmar fire in LA in 2017 with only what they could grab and came to live with us in Malibu. They separated soon afterwards, stress related. One year later my father in law was living with us when our house burned down in the Woolsey fire in 2018. Fires have names here because they are so frequent. My wife and I were in San Diego and he was at the house, grabbed our dog Brynn and made it out alive.

My in laws got back together a year later and then their son, my brother in law, died last year. Extremely traumatic.  

Last November they decided they still had things to do in life and they moved to join a Presbyterian mission in Ukraine. They are there now and we haven't heard anything.

It is so incredible that I don't know what to say or think.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Tman, sorry to hear that.  My wife has relatives in Poland, so while not exactly the same, she has been to church every day lighting a candle for them.  I'll have her do one for you tomorrow.  Hang in there!

18 minutes ago, CNJ said:

Tman, sorry to hear that.  My wife has relatives in Poland, so while not exactly the same, she has been to church every day lighting a candle for them.  I'll have her do one for you tomorrow.  Hang in there!

Thank you. It is currently a crazy world we live in.

23 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Oh my goodness!

Thanks for venting with us, Tman. 

Your in laws are in my thoughts and prayers. 
And the way things are going over there, they are definitely doing God's work, for sure. 

😐

Thanks Sparky (I hope you don't mind me calling you that). Much appreciated.

22 minutes ago, Karloff said:

Dear God I'm sorry. I will keep them in my thoughts & hope for the best

Thank you Karloff, It helps me to hear these comments. The saying about things coming in 3s has expired and unfortunately they are on number 4. Surely the pendulum should swing the other way.

• Like 1

Hey Tman, hoping everything turns out alright for your wife and her parents...my gosh how much does one person have to endure.  Who do you tell?  I think you should tell your cousin Debbie,  a great human interest story and maybe they can help to intensify efforts to find them or at least get some communications.  Just a thought.

Phillip, Dang!   Your in-laws (and you and your family) have really been through it.

I'm sure communications in Ukraine are not the best right now..... I suspect you'll hear from them soon.

They have to be strong people..... give my best to your wife.

17 hours ago, jdgm said:

Wow.

I hope they are ok and can get out sometime.

If they have determined to stay then I hope they can keep their heads down.

My best wishes to you and them.

Thank you. They were pretty determined to make a life there and they love it over there but had no way of predicting this. They went through the Korean War as children. They are on the outskirts of Odesa. Looks like things are heating up there and I hope we hear from them soon. 

14 hours ago, rct said:

Jesus H. Christ there is no god.  All the best brother.  

rct

You'd think so or at least I would. That is definitely a conversation I won't have with him. Thank you for the well wishes.

12 hours ago, Retired said:

Hope they are just staying low and away from trouble. I will include them in my prayers Tman. 

Thank you, that is what I was hoping for

11 hours ago, kelly campbell said:

Hey Tman, hoping everything turns out alright for your wife and her parents...my gosh how much does one person have to endure.  Who do you tell?  I think you should tell your cousin Debbie,  a great human interest story and maybe they can help to intensify efforts to find them or at least get some communications.  Just a thought.

I forgot you knew her. What a great idea. She is a famous newscaster in Indianapolis. Thanks Kelly and all the best.

11 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Life is so damn unpredictable!  With all the rough roads your family has been on, sure seems like it’s time you get a break.  I hope to God your in-laws are okay and get back home soon…. You and your wife hang in there.   The sun will shine again.

Thanks so much. I thought after I wrote the post that I have morphed into the Gibson forum martyr recent of a yearly pity party. I don't like the role. I am trying like to hell to think positively and look at it all in the rear view with some happy endings.

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Tman, Its a worry, but the odds are in their favour. I hope you get word sooner than later, and that its what you need to hear.

Yep hoping for any kind of communication. They aren't citizens and are American citizens but Korean originally. The community sticks to themselves and who knows how they are being treated in this situation. They are 80 years old. Hopefully not being abused.

2 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Phillip, Dang!   Your in-laws (and you and your family) have really been through it.

I'm sure communications in Ukraine are not the best right now..... I suspect you'll hear from them soon.

They have to be strong people..... give my best to your wife.

Thanks Danville, she is kind of in a learned helplessness mode. Truly bizarre times.

6 minutes ago, kidblast said:

This is unsettling news . prayers going out that that they are doing ok and will soon be out of harms way.

Hang in there Tman

Thank you kid blast.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes, thoughts and prayers. They will be very appreciative when I tell them.

I will report as soon as I hear some thing. 

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

And we hope to hear something soon. And all good hopefully.  It really has to be nerve wracking for your wife.  So my best hopes and wishes go out to her.

Whitefang

Thanks Whitening. She really appreciates it. She's handling all of this well considering.

2 hours ago, cookieman15061 said:

T-Brother, I know it's a trying time for you and your lovely wife but quite possibly the Lord put them there for this very reason. I pray that his hand is upon them and will guide and protect them as they help the people of Ukraine.      Cookie

CookieMonster thank you. Hoping for a turn in the tide and for a good outcome. Like I said in the beginning, really unbelievable.

On 3/8/2022 at 12:39 PM, Tman said:

Not sure why I am posting this. I have to tell someone and I'm not on FB or any other social media. Maybe the collective power of good thoughts might make a difference. I'm not religious or I would ask for prayers. This is 100% true. Here goes.

My in laws lived through the Sylmar fire in LA in 2017 with only what they could grab and came to live with us in Malibu. They separated soon afterwards, stress related. One year later my father in law was living with us when our house burned down in the Woolsey fire in 2018. Fires have names here because they are so frequent. My wife and I were in San Diego and he was at the house, grabbed our dog Brynn and made it out alive.

My in laws got back together a year later and then their son, my brother in law, died last year. Extremely traumatic.  

Last November they decided they still had things to do in life and they moved to join a Presbyterian mission in Ukraine. They are there now and we haven't heard anything.

It is so incredible that I don't know what to say or think.

Are they Aetheist like you? Just curious… In any case I’ll say a pray for them & you…. 

Edited by Larsongs

39 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Are they Aetheist like you? Just curious… In any case I’ll say a pray for them & you…. 

Well, Lars...

It may be due to Evelyn Wood, but Tman, you might (or might not) have noticed,  did state his in laws joined a Presbyterian mission in the Ukraine.  Doesn't sound too atheistic to me.

Whitefang