Gibson Brands Forums

Custom LP

Tman

Hi everyone, on November 9th, 2018, I lost 11 guitars including 5 Gibsons (SG Custom, LP Standard Gold Top, J-200 5 star quilt, J-45 Acacia, and a hummingbird 12 string) in what is now known as the Woolsey fire which claimed ~800 homes in the Malibu area. Unbeknownst to me a group of colleagues of mine got together and took up a guitar fund and donated it to Guitar Center so I could (would have to) use it for guitar replacement. I have always wanted a Les Paul Custom with my specs so I went through the Made To Measure program and did just that. The colleagues came from an Online forum that I started in 2003 called OCAD (One Case A Day and has to do with diagnosis of musculoskeletal disease). Here is the OCAD guitar!

Modern Axcess Gold Top with Custom trim and chrome hardware (with stop tailpiece).

Custombuckers with coil splitting

60's thin profile neck

GLPCustom1.jpg

GLPCustom2.jpg

GLPCustom3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

To quote another great American, Jethro Bodine, “ Uncle Jed, I decided I ain’t gonna be a brain surgeon.”

I can tell you guys one thing. A flushing toilet should not be underestimated nor under appreciated. In all seriousness.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tman said:

To quote another great American, Jethro Bodine, “ Uncle Jed, I decided I ain’t gonna be a brain surgeon.”

I can tell you guys one thing. A flushing toilet should not be underestimated nor under appreciated. In all seriousness.

I hear you on that one.  We had tree roots that grew through our pipes and a basement wall corner and it took a year to get enough cash to have it all fixed right.  We had to use the spa a lot as well as other places. I love your Gold Top Tman. Congrats. 

Very glad to read that things are starting to get back to some more reasonable state of normality - albeit after what must have been an extremely trying eight months for you and yours. Hearty congrats to the members of the online group whose generosity brought about this wonderful gift; clearly your initiative in starting the forum is greatly appreciated by your fellow colleagues.

Amazing guitar, too! In all my years of playing and reading about these things I don't ever recall seeing - or even hearing about - a Les Paul Custom with a Gold-Top finish. Quite the Unique Beastie!

Play Long and Prosper, Two-Ells!

=D>

P.

6 hours ago, pippy said:

In all my years of playing and reading about these things I don't ever recall seeing - or even hearing about - a Les Paul Custom with a Gold-Top finish. Quite the Unique Beastie!

P.

They made this guitar in '16.  And if I'm not mistaken, it did not come from the Custom Shop, it was a USA guitar.  I think it looks bada$$.  It's called the Les Paul Fort Knox.

8gdkkEV.jpg

Edited by Black Dog
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Black Dog said:

They made this guitar in '16......It's called the Les Paul Fort Knox.

Ah, yes! Well remembered BD. I had forgotten about that one. The closest I could remember myself was the Classic Custom which was very close but yours, obviously, is closer still!

[thumbup]

Pip.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Indeed things are looking up. Refrigerator tomorrow! No more camping coolers.

Eventually I'll let you know of some stories of surviving calamity from the last 9 months.  Here's one: In the beginning of May when we finally received permission to temporarily move back onto the property and I was able to stop commuting from my wife's office in Torrance (2 hour, 15 min one way), I rented a small trailer. No water and the generator didn't work (turns out someone put oil into the gas tank and it clogged it - since we were forced to have insurance I thought it was scam). No one came to fix it and they even accused me of putting oil into it - I didn't and I know the difference. Last storm of the season,  the wind was strong and the trailer rocked back and forth and woke me up at 02:30 when the awning ripped (which they also charged me for). I couldn't retract it because the generator didn't work (in spite of many texts to come and fix it - I should have gotten my own). I abandoned ship and walked down the hill to our 500 sq. ft. concrete in law unit that only had the garage burned out. My father in law lived there when the fire happened. No electricity or water. It was rat infested (I even had myself tested for hantavirus - 40% fatality - luckily negative). On my way down the hill I slipped in the mud and landed on my arse. I looked up to the pouring sky and started crying. My dog came out of the building where she was sleeping and came and licked my arm. I knew then I was going to make it.

I will take some snaps of the guitar outside of the case. One of the things I love is the contoured heel. Contoured like the HP but not a wide neck, it has a standard 60's thin tapered profile.

• Like 1