Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

2020 - (preliminary) musical resolutions


uncle fester
 Share

Recommended Posts

Being a little proactive this year and thinking about what milestones I want to hit in 2020  (last year my big resolution was get comfortable in open mic settings).  For '20, what i got so far is:

  • get a jam buddy
  • 6 open mics and at least *one performance of 40 mins or more
  • eleanor rigby, fingerpicking style

 

I'm 50+ yrs of age, and just starting to get some performing chops...  I do have aspirations of rock stardom (as much as can be garnered within 45 minutes of my house ...before 8:30pm) so that's where my resolutions come from.  

I know most of you have walked the path, been there done that, but I still here musical excitement in your posts, equipment you get, events... so just wondering what types of new things do accomplished and non accomplished folks look forward to in order to keep things exciting.  Anyone have any preliminary 2020 musical aspirations... or other.

*(my options for a 40+ min. performance are either busking in the center of town, or offer up a show to the local council on aging or other places that would be happy with just to have an occurence - keeping the bar realistic :.)

Edited by billroy fineman
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like to continue to improve my chops. especially my slide work.  

I'm going to make a sincere effort to not buy any new gear in 2020. I'd like to save some $$.  but what I'd really like is to find a good deal on a mid 90's Harley Roadking to "fix up" a bit ...  or a Springer. 

Edited by Karloff
remove negative comment
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cougar said:

For me, more recording!  Been just too busy this past year....

Nice - I find recording is an art form, I get to 'good enough' with 1 mic (apogee) into garage band, but know there's a world more to do tweeking the different FX available etc...  thinking of investing in formal lessons...  you should do a recording and post something 🙂

 

3 hours ago, Karloff said:

I'd like to continue to improve my chops. especially my slide work.  

I'm going to make a sincere effort to not buy any new gear in 2020. I'd like to save some $$.  but what I'd really like is to find a good deal on a mid 90's Harley Roadking to "fix up" a bit ...  or a Springer. 

Very cool, on both fronts.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, billroy fineman said:

Being a little proactive this year and thinking about what milestones I want to hit in 2020  (last year my big resolution was get comfortable in open mic settings).  For '20, what i got so far is:

  • get a jam buddy
  • 6 open mics and at least *one performance of 40 mins or more
  • eleanor rigby, fingerpicking style

 

I'm 50+ yrs of age, and just starting to get some performing chops...  I do have aspirations of rock stardom (as much as can be garnered within 45 minutes of my house ...before 8:30pm) so that's where my resolutions come from.  

I know most of you have walked the path, been there done that, but I still here musical excitement in your posts, equipment you get, events... so just wondering what types of new things do accomplished and non accomplished folks look forward to in order to keep things exciting.  Anyone have any preliminary 2020 musical aspirations... or other.

*(my options for a 40+ min. performance are either busking in the center of town, or offer up a show to the local council on aging or other places that would be happy with just to have an occurence - keeping the bar realistic :.)

That's a good, doable resolution. I hope it is kept. [thumbup]

For me, the camaraderie of playing with other musicians is what I love best. Playing for an appreciative audience is just the icing on the cake.

Every year I resolve to actually get some studio recording done, but I never do. I still have some unfinished tracks from my buddy who passed away a few years ago. I want to finish them up some day but I'm not making a resolution. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keep motivated, keep practicing; get better at playing melodies and music, rather than looking at my left hand and executing lick/finger movement no155.

Finish the Ted Greene book.  Vary practice routine.  Learn more melodies, standards, chord solo-type things.   Learn the stuff I enjoy even if there's no practical application for it at the moment.

REMEMBER it all, or enough of it.

Get more gigs.  Buy another Gibson...buy more Gibsons.....I want a 25/50 LP and a nice acoustic of some sort before I get too old.  

And strum my ukelele.  

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all - thanks for the replies  - good thoughts!

 

17 hours ago, kelly campbell said:

Play more and practice more.  Lets hope I stick to it. 

What i find pushes me is to define something to go after (i.e. Eleanor Rigby) which in turn causes me to play more / practice more.  Any songs or specific musical milestones you'd like to cross as a result of your playing / practicing.    (this is my out loud wondering voice - ignore if you want)

 

14 hours ago, FemmeParallell said:

 Not buy more guitars! i have a lot and i wasnt going to buy more this year and bought 4 new ones (and only sold 1 hehe)

Best failed resolution ever, i hope for another similar one 🙂

 

14 hours ago, saturn said:

For me, the camaraderie of playing with other musicians is what I love best. Playing for an appreciative audience is just the icing on the cake.

Hoping my starting with a jam buddy gets me into a band situation eventually., I love playing but also the camaraderie slant has a lot to be said for it.

 

13 hours ago, jdgm said:

Finish the Ted Greene book.  Vary practice routine.  Learn more melodies, standards, chord solo-type things.   Learn the stuff I enjoy even if there's no practical application for it at the moment.

buy more Gibsons.....I want a 25/50 LP and a nice acoustic of some sort before I get too old.  

And strum my ukelele.  

Ted Greene book - I say finish the book, then put together a little something of your own out some stuff you learned and really liked...  then post it here for us to ooooh and aaaah over.

Buy more Gibsons... yep

Strum your ukelele... it's fun, and 4 strings are easier than 6 (probably doesn't matter to you)...  but on the flipside forces you to simplify

Edited by billroy fineman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I haven't been playing much for a while now.. Mostly due to all the crap I have been dealing with the last few years. I got in to this cycle of not wanting to play and when I did pick a guitar up I had nothing there.. Which led to me getting more and more rusty till I now just get a bit annoyed when I try and play...

So I do want to get in to playing regularly again.. Having someone to jam with would be cool.

But also and its related I guess is I want to start building again next year.. So tired at the moment that when I get time off work the last thing I want to do is more woodwork  🙂  But I have two weeks off after next week which I am hoping will give me a nice fresh start next year [thumbup]

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Argh - not that again!!!!  He must be getting tax relief on the advert as it's been in for well over a decade now hasn't it?

There was another one with just as good a top as that on ebay  earlier this year, even had the 25/50 belt buckle (oooh!) and was up for about £3750(GBP)  IIRC.  And that's high - but it was bloody nice.  He would have taken an offer.

One day...I'll have the money one day.....[-o<

 

Edited by jdgm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A timely topic,  I was talking to myself yesterday.. "Self..." I said.. "you really need to spend more time playing your pianos..."  And then it hit me..  New Years Resolution!  BOOM!

but it's good to have a plan!!  and you have one, so shoot for it dude.

and this:

I do have aspirations of rock stardom (as much as can be garnered within 45 minutes of my house ...before 8:30pm) so that's where my resolutions come from.  

ha! Aint it da truth..  I'm 62, so I got 12 years on you.  I've just started a new band recently with the solid plan of giggage in the future.  Drummer is my age, bass player is 71..

We're going to have to find some afternoon gigs...

LOL!
 

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Murph said:

I'd like to put another acoustic duo together, guitar/mandolin/resonator/banjo/vocals  ala Jerry Garcia/David Grisman but man it's hard to find someone with the same likes and the chops that you don't want to kill...

 

I love that sound. Heard a fabulous band in Asheville, NC a couple of nights ago doing Dawg Jazz and Tony Rice tunes.  Myself, I'll never be that good. Maybe my resolution should be to become a better flatpicker. Might require buying a better acoustic guitar. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

 

I love that sound. Heard a fabulous band in Asheville, NC a couple of nights ago doing Dawg Jazz and Tony Rice tunes.  Myself, I'll never be that good. Maybe my resolution should be to become a better flatpicker. Might require buying a better acoustic guitar. 

 

It's a hoot and you can work for 1/2 the price of a Band and not bring nearly as much gear because it's acoustic and people will usually shut the he11 up and listen.

Me and this guy did a few gigs, but he ran off with a Classic Rock Band....

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/13/2019 at 9:33 AM, billroy fineman said:

I get to 'good enough' with 1 mic (apogee) into garage band, but know there's a world more to do tweeking the different FX available etc... 

I normally use Cubase Elements, but some years ago I played around with garageband, just picking out sampled clips that were available.  Ended up with this "instrumental"....  :^)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Murph said:

I'd like to put another acoustic duo together, guitar/mandolin/resonator/banjo/vocals  ala Jerry Garcia/David Grisman but man it's hard to find someone with the same likes and the chops that you don't want to kill...

yessir - finding a like minded cohort doesn't seem to get easier the older you get

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe play 4-6 gigs rather than 1-2. Meeting a few more local bands now that we can hook up with so it could happen but we are around 50 yo now and it's a hobby so if we do that we tend not to write more than one new song that's gig ready in a year, but hey we have a set so....

maybe sell the 2 old guitars (I really only need 1) and various pedals and stuff I've accumulated which is now little more than clutter. I guess I'm for keeping it simple !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I resolve to do something different, I don't have a choice really.  My drummer said several months ago that he didn't want to haul his equipment around anymore so we didn't perform live since then.  We did record an 11 song CD which we just finished mix down a couple days ago.  Then suddenly the bass player told us he was moving out to the Phoenix area and he left as soon as we finished recording.

So I'm not sure what I will do, but I certainly don't want to stop performing yet.  There is a big band group in my community that plays old timey swing and big band stuff like Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman etc. and they are always looking for a guitar player so I might take my L5 and sit in with them, but that doesn't sound like what I would want to do exclusively.  Or I could go solo which I have done before, just a guitar and vocal with maybe a looper, not too much equipment to haul, and I get to keep all the money - but again not as much fun as a band.  

So at this point I don't know what it will be so I guess I'll just resolve to keep playing somehow! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...