Gibson Brands Forums

What are you doing with your eqipment in the end?

kefta4ever

Just curious what people do with their old, vintage, valuable Gibson equipment.  I have a Gibson Ripper and Invader.   2 x 15 800G stack and a G-40 amp.  Do you all plan on handing them down to your family/children/friends or sell them.  Or, just let everyone else deal with them when you are gone.  I guess this is for older people or sick more than young ones healthy.

• Sad 1

I'm writing a big notebook "what to do when I die" which is an inventory of everything I have that's valuable, approx how much it's worth, where it is, has it got a box/manual/extras etc.  And suggestions on how to dispose of all my assets, gear - anything that's valuable in any way.

I'm doing this room by room in my house.   Also listing all my accounts  and connections - online and off (EDIT) - everyone who will need to be told about my demise.

To me this is a very positive thing to do.  I've been meaning to get around to it for years and am now (slowly) getting it done.  Much less to worry about for those who will have to sort it out. 

However things will still be lost; I have a large collection of live tapes, nearly all on cassette - concerts I recorded and radio airshots etc, mostly jazz from the late 70s up to the early years of this century.   There's no-one to leave this archive to, so...what doesn't get sold (cassettes should sell) will  probably get binned along with all the CD-R copies.

Just in terms of the fantastic music I have seen and heard, my life has been incredible.  It may seem silly to be grateful for it all, but I am.  Music has made me happier than anything else in my life.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jdgm said:

I'm writing a big notebook "what to do when I die" which is an inventory of everything I have that's valuable, approx how much it's worth, where it is, has it got a box/manual/extras etc.  And suggestions on how to dispose of all my assets, gear - anything that's valuable in any way.

I'm doing this room by room in my house.   Also listing all my accounts  and connections online and not - everyone who will need to be told about my demise.

To me this is a very positive thing to do.  I've been meaning to get around to it for years and am now (slowly) getting it done.  Much less to worry about for those who will have to sort it out. 

However things will still be lost; I have a large collection of live tapes, nearly all on cassette - concerts I recorded and radio airshots etc, mostly jazz from the late 70s up to the early years of this century.   There's no-one to leave this archive to, so...what doesn't get sold (cassettes should sell) will  probably get binned along with all the CD-R copies.

Just in terms of the fantastic music I have seen and heard, my life has been incredible.  It may seem silly to be grateful for it all, but I am.  Music has made me happier than anything else in my life.

What a great idea,I'm also gonna do this.

• Like 1

theres a couple guitars my wife says she will keep. I've told her to sell whatever.  My '72 Strat that I bought in '74 and somehow managed to hold onto all these years, I surprised my middle daughter a couple months ago by giving it to her. she cried because of the gift and because she thought maybe I was sick and hadn't told anyone. lol. I just wanted her to have it. 

• Like 1

My oldest was pissed at me for selling off some stuff last year (not musical but collectable) thinking he would be selling it some day after I've gone.

I took him in the music room and pointed out all my stuff and stated possible worth, I told him this was the room he needed to get to first.

Usually I sell, trade or give away stuff if I'm not going to use it, like Sgt Pepper said - let someone else enjoy it.

• Like 1

I don't have any kids to hand things down to.  I have 2 nieces and 2 nephews, the oldest boy plays guitar sort of, but he wouldn't really appreciate the gear I have.  I suppose I will begin thinning the herd, or just leave a list of approximate value so heirs can sell it off and take the cash for something they need or want.

I plan on piling every bit of it up in an enormous heap  and soaking it all in gasoline.

When they come to get me and take me to the assisted living joint, I'm putting a lit match to it. 

Kind of like Gandhi, only without the nobility and the being shot by a zealot. 

😌

I'm letting everyone in my family pick their favorite Guitar from my Collection. I will leave written Instructions in my Will who gets what. If there's anything left it can be sold & the money donated to Charity...

Donations work for me, my AVT stack went to a young struggling group a while ago. Since I restore electrics, just to keep busy, I am always selling and giving them away. Maybe earmark the rest of my stuff to go to a church that does live music.

Edited by mihcmac

I started our grandson off on guitar at one. Just strumming of course and now both Grayson, 5 and Reagan, 3, have Ukulele's and love them. I told them both, Whoever learns guitar first can have my guitars and amps. Both are wanting to learn. It might be a split? 

I plan to give everything but one guitar to a much younger friend who is not only a talented player but also a music and art teacher in a local middle school. I plan to tell him that he can keep whatever he wants and give what he can't use to whatever kid(s) he chooses or keep it as an instrument in the middle school... his choice. The one other guitar goes to another friend.

I only own a couple things, but feel they're nice things - so will try to make sure they will go to someone who will appreciate them.  None of my kids play so they're not on the list.  They pissed me off yesterday so they'd be off the list anyways.

On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 8:46 AM, brad1 said:

I've thought about this for a long time.  

I'm taking it with me. 😁

Reminds me of the old joke, "If I can't take it with me I'm not going".

I have a lot of musicians in the family so I'll just let them fight over my guitars.  One neice has alrady put a claim on my Strat.  Talk about not waiting for the body to get cold.

Edited by Bronx

I've heard too many ugly stories of family members at each others throats fighting over stuff left behind.   JDGM seems to have come up with a good solution.  Then get the notebook notarized!   I have 3 Gibson acoustics  and a Deering banjo to divide up amongst 4 children.  Someone isn't going to be happy ! Maybe I'll tuck a couple of hundred $ in the banjo case !