Gibson Brands Forums

How many guitars does a guitar player really need?

siod

Einstein covered this. Thanks to whatever forum member first showed us this.

I'm pretty much done at 6, but 3 would be manageable. It's just that I don't think I could select which 3 would have to go.

I can truthfully report that Pippy is correct. After having lost 11 on November the 9th, the gift of one MIM stratocaster has filled the need completely....for the time being. Doesn't mean I don't want a whole mess more.

Judging strictly by my experience, the answer is apparently:

7 solid body electrics

1 ancient acoustic guitar

3 acoustic electric six strings

1 acoustic electric 12-string

2 solid body electric bass guitars

1 ukulele

and,

1 3-string cigar box guitar

But I'm still craving one more solid body electric.

[crying]

slide_3.jpg

I have 8 at the moment and could easily add several more but in all honesty, two would be sufficient.

One acoustic, one electric is all I need.

The acoustic is easy, my Martin HD-28V, for the electric I'm not sure as I like them all.

I wouldn't have bought them if I didn't.

I was up around 100 but then decided I didn't like Applause guitars anymore so I sold 62 of them. I have 3 left and they may go away too. I culled some more just because I didn't have any good yard sale ebay flips going on and I was bored. I've got a couple for sale on ebay right now and I may get rid of a few more. The closer you come to zero, the harder it is to decide who stays or goes. I actually attempted to keep a log of which guitars I play (New Years Resolution) so that at some future date I will have cold hard facts that support or refute my decision to keep one. That lasted 4 days.

I was up around 100 but then decided I didn't like Applause guitars anymore so I sold 62 of them. I have 3 left and they may go away too. I culled some more just because I didn't have any good yard sale ebay flips going on and I was bored. I've got a couple for sale on ebay right now and I may get rid of a few more. The closer you come to zero, the harder it is to decide who stays or goes. I actually attempted to keep a log of which guitars I play (New Years Resolution) so that at some future date I will have cold hard facts that support or refute my decision to keep one. That lasted 4 days.

Before you started selling them, you could have invited the whole Gibson Lounge over for one hell of a jam session!

I'm at 11 guitars now in our household.

4 Gibson Les Pauls (each with their own unique sound)

3 Gibson Flying V's (each with their own unique sound)

1 Oscar Schmidt Classical (for when I play classical guitar)

1 Conrad Steel string acoustic (late 60's/early 70's parlor guitar)

1 Squier Strat (My son plays it)

1 Dixon Flying V (hot rodded with DiMarzios and Kahler whammy)

How many do I need? 1. The others are for various sounds and functionality. And, some are just for vanity because I wanted them. :)

Archived