Gibson Brands Forums

The Gibson Lounge Appreciation Thread

dem00n

Hello everyone,

My name is dem00n. The number of posts on the left may imply that I was once an extremely active poster on these forums. I'm at an odd mood, I felt it was important to come back and make a thread, even if it doesn't really matter to anyone but me. 

I'm simply here to say, that these forums have shaped the very individual I am today. On December 27th, 2008 I joined this place at thirteen years old, I didn't even own a Gibson. I learned more here then I ever did in middle school or high school. I raised hell, made friends with a bunch of old dudes and spread my opinions like wild fire. It was home for a number of years. I tapered off around 2013, as I entered my undergraduate studies, occasionally coming back to the familiarity of this place, just to feel good. I may have spent more time on here then I did ever playing my guitar. I never was that good, but I enjoyed playing. One of my dreams is to released an album, just one - don't even need to play live or nothing.... 

However, I can truly pinpoint how this place changed my life. It was in these forums that I discovered the DIY effect pedal scene. It was the electronics that led me into Electrical Engineering, then leading to Mechatronics Engineering, which is what I ended up graduating in.  After a quick stint in a national lab, I went for a PhD in Electrical Engineering, focusing on biomedical applications. I'm still completing my PhD, I'm almost done! 😫

This place means a lot to me, and I'm sure if you're reading this, this place means a lot to you as well. I know I won't be active here ever again, because I simply don't play as I used to and to be perfectly honest, my interests have changed. I still own my 59' ES-125T and my Melody Maker.

At least my grammar has approved since 2008,  or maybe it hasn't. Oh...and EMG pickups still suck, this is a constant truth

I love you all, even if I don't know who you are.

Edited by dem00n
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

HI Dem00n,  awesome story; how you were able to channel creative drive into an impressive career.  Don't ever loose focus on what's important to you.  I just joined the forum a month ago, and like you have an EE degree, now retired and living large (well, large enough to finally have time to play the guitar).  Go forth and kick-@$$

• Like 1

It's great to see that you're doing so well for yourself. Check back in occasionally, even if you aren't actively playing guitar or buying Gibsons.  Us old people will still be here posting the same stuff. 

• Like 2

Great post, dem00n.

Glad to hear that you are making out well, and enjoying great success doing something that you love. 

Keep on coming back and posting. 
This place benefits from your company and your wonderful attitudes and perspectives. 

🙂

• Like 1

Good post demOOn.  I joined the Gibson forum(and the Epiphone forum too) way back in '99 or 2000 or so, back when a guy known as BOBSKIPPY was a frequent contributer.  I used to have his personal e-mail address and we'd communicate back and forth that way for a while.  And then due to a combination of PC issues and forum site issues I was off both forums for a length.  And maybe nine years ago, any e-mails I sent to Bobskippy were returned by the "Mailer Daemon", meaning the address was no longer valid.

But I don't know if it's fair to say belonging to ANY forum(and I spread myself over several) has shaped my life in any fashion.  But communicating with people from a wide variety of locations and with an equal wide variety of POV's and thoughts and insights certainly made my retirement more interesting.  [wink]   And I don't play as I used to either, but my reason is mostly a "mini" stroke I went through seven years ago still affects my dexterity and endurance.  But I do constantly work to improve them.  And since I don't play guitar for my livelihood, there's nothing at stake except satisfying my personal satisfaction,  and there's plenty of room for other interests as well.  So please keep at it.  And get yourself a decent acoustic.  If ever there's a power outage, you can still pass the time constructively.  [biggrin]

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang
  • Like 2

Of course I remember you Dem00n.... I was a member back then...and stopped frequenting the forums for many years.... came back after I graduated.    There are still many of the old-timers on here.....and (thankfully) new people too.

I can imagine working and studying for your Doctorate is time-consuming...but stop by when you can.

Love to hear success stories....Keep us posted as to when we can start calling you "Doctor Dem00n"!

• Like 2

This raises the possibility that, despite the animosity that sometimes raises its ugly head here - even driving beloved members away -  this forum probably does much more good for members of all sizes and shapes - than we are aware of.    Thanks Demoon.    Wow - nearly 11,000 posts.   You were busy.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ZenKen said:

"made friends with a bunch of old dudes"  We, however, remain happily immature. Nice to "see" you young friend.

Haven't seen you in a long time too. You still in Ellicott City?

Yeah of course I remember you too...

Also like you this place had quite a big impact on me to the point of me becoming a luthier..  I doubt I would ever have done that without the support of the many people on here at the time...

Its a bit slow around here these days to say the least but I still potter about for what ever reason... 🙂 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Yeah of course I remember you too...

Also like you this place had quite a big impact on me to the point of me becoming a luthier..  I doubt I would ever have done that without the support of the many people on here at the time...

Its a bit slow around here these days to say the least but I still potter about for what ever reason... 🙂 

I knew it.

rct

• Haha 1

dem00n I’ll never forget you bud 😃

Not sure if you still listen to Death, but I do. I first learned about them from you, and I’m still a big fan. 

This last couple weeks I’m really hooked on Toxik - World Circus which as you may know features some background vocals from Chuck

• Like 2

This is one of the nicest places on the Internet IMHO. 

Although I do kind of miss back when I bought a guitar, then played the guitar, and that was it. These days, it's more like, no, haven't actually recorded with it - still having trouble with the G and B saddle to saddle height ratio. Possibly. Can't tell until my luthier comes back. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pinch said:

I'd love to hear Capmaster is doing okay. 

Yes.  I hope he is too.

Bence checked in recently and Valeriy.  I wonder what Versatile is doing.  I think 4Hayden who I played the song association game with must have died as he was badly ill. 

There are loads more I didn't know so well.  Searcy was great, Rev Lee, Charlie Brown, Kaleb, Retro, Rocketman - I hope they are all ok.   Tman also.

• Like 2