Gibson Brands Forums

Message for the forum from JDGM

Rabs

Hello all.

Most of you know who John is JDGM. He has been a member on here for a long time and one that has always been helpful, kind and polite to all he speaks too. We have met up a few times in real life, mainly when he was helping me out by demoing my Rabswood guitars so we have always kept in contact.

So I got a sad email from him today and he has asked me to pass it on to you guys.

Basically he has had these real bad back issues recently. But it turns out he has widespread emphysema and they will be operating on his spine to stabalise that and stop the back pain but they also think he has lung cancer even though that is still to be confirmed but they think that is what has invaded the spine vertebra so will look at that in the operation. Then assuming the successful results of the surgery/biopsy he will undergo chemo and or radiotherapy depending on what happens.

The good news about this is that if they didnt think he had a chance they would not be doing this surgery full stop. So that is at least positive. And John himself is remaining positive. He says that he still has things to do and in his own words  "I regret nothing - I have had a f****in' good time, enjoyed myself and am not finished yet. I've just got a hill to climb and no choice but to accept what happens".

Like me he was a smoker so hes not blaming anyone. It is what it is but he has stopped the smoke now (which I think he did a short while back).

So yeah..  Not cool but thus is life sometimes.

I do think he has a phone on him so will possibly be watching this thread.  And as I said to John, he still has to play my 336s yet so we will meet when he is back 🙂 Heres wishing you all the best and the quickest possible recovery 🤘

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Rabs and wishing jdgm all the very best - one of my favourite contributors here over a long time (John's humorous/exasperated reviews in the 'just got in from a gig' thread always bring a smile and grimace [smile]). Getting relief from the back pain will be fantastic and I hope anything else remains no more than a suspicion.

• Thanks 1

Best of luck to you John.  As someone who has chronic back problems and has had both lumbar spine and cervical spine fusion surgeries, I know how miserable that can be.  Hopefully the spine surgery and other procedures go well for you.  Hang in there.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rabs said:

So I got a sad email from him today and he has asked me to pass it on to you guys.

Thanks Rabs for being such a good friend to jdgm, and passing his message on. Let him know I'm sending positive waves his way. His mindset is just as important as the medical treatment he is receiving. Just like learning a new lick, we all can do anything we put our mind to!

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2024 at 5:15 PM, Rabs said:

I do think he has a phone on him so will possibly be watching this thread.  And as I said to John, he still has to play my 336s yet so we will meet when he is back 🙂 Heres wishing you all the best and the quickest possible recovery 🤘

John, you have still to play my Esprit & DC Standard too. I'll keep them warm for you. 

Not only you have a proper diagnosis now; but also a plan to fix you up. That's progress man!

• Upvote 1

As the others have said I, too, wish John the very best care and a speedy remission / recovery period.

Please pass on my regards to him Rabs; he has always been one of the very best forumites and I hope to read much more from him for many years to come..

Philip.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi there, I am John's niece. He showed me this thread and told me how moved he was by all of your comments. He is reading but can't log in so please do keep your best wishes coming and keep him in your thoughts as he deals with this. He will be having surgery very soon. Thanks from all of us. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2