Gibson Brands Forums

Self Serve Petrol?

Digger

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-04/oregon-gas-pump-law-change/9304840

Am I getting this right?

Some of you don’t have self serve petrol yet?

We’ve been doing that for ages and in fact researching it to give you some idea, resulted in finding nothing, so I don’t know how long self-serve has been going here. It’s quite a few years though.

There are a few small garages that still serve you but very much in a minority.

You want the oil checked, you do it yourself!

Our next move and one being pushed by the industry is that all fuel be prepaid! Servos suffer from a lot of drive off’s apparently. The cops don’t want to know even though there is video evidence of the crime.

I can remember when I was 14 being left in sole charge of a small servo on Saturday nights and doing the full driveway thing and running it entirely on my own for 3 or 4 hours at night. Kids that age couldn’t be left like that these days as they’d be robbed in short order nowadays.

Anyone here ever pump gas for pocket money?

It's only Oregon and maybe New Jersey? I remember visiting my aunt in Medford OR back in 2008. I didn't know about the law and attempted to pump my own gas until the attendant notified me that I wasn't allowed. eusa_think.gif

Very strange. what's funny are the Twitter comments from Oregon residents who don't want it changed. Of course, many of those comments might just be trolls.....

Gosh, as a teen we had full service but actually I can't even remember when that ended, it was so long ago. Think before I hot married. We've been self serve for decades upon decades. The only ones that had to get used to it and hated it were the women because they didn't know how to check oil, where to put the gas nozzle, how to air up a tire. Didn't know about checking fluids. I know my middle aged sister ran her car dry on oil and ruined the engine. She never checked it for years. My mom still doesn't want to know how to do those things, she says it's a mans job. Her job is just to do the inside the house.

No self service in New Jersey. Cheapest gas in three states in New Jersey. There's big business lie right in your face. If we ever get self serve the price will go up. Fukking fukk stain fukking new jersey god I hate I hate I hate this fukking place I am from.

rct

Gosh, as a teen we had full service but actually I can't even remember when that ended, it was so long ago.

My first real "job" was working weekends in a full service station (I think I was 16), and like Retired can't even remember when full service ended. For someone who maybe bought a dollar's worth of gas (maybe 3 gallons at the time), we'd wash your windshield, check your oil, the air in your tires, etc. Now you're not even sure there's an "attendant" in the "booth". I've been pumping my own gas forever. Once people in Oregon realize how much time they'll save, rather than waiting for someone else, well...maybe that's just my impatience taking hold.

No self service in New Jersey. Cheapest gas in three states in New Jersey. There's big business lie right in your face. If we ever get self serve the price will go up. Fukking fukk stain fukking new jersey god I hate I hate I hate this fukking place I am from.

rct

I'm from Detroit, and been jailed here in Jersey for 23 years. I hate it to. My wife is from NC and hates it more...

I lived in Vancouver (not B.C.), Washington (not D.C.) across the Columbia river from Portland, OR for a year. Yes they pumped our gas. No matter how many times they did it, I still forgot and got out of my car to pump. By the time I learned, I moved.

Yep, we can't pump our own gas here on Oregon. Even after this new law, it's still pretty limited. In most places it's still illegal.

I have to say that after a while you do get used to it. I'm still perfectly capable of pumping my own gas, I just don't want to. I'll fill up before I cross the state line an then try to make it back before I run out. All while I play "Lazy" on my stereo.

when i last had a bike, sometimes i would be in jersey and need gas. i dont want someone else filling m bike, so they let me do it myself. people are funny. the other day i went to a royal farms in delaware. the line for free air for tires was 5 cars deep. hell, i think my time is worth fifty cents. if i needed air i would have crossed the street and used their pump rather than sit there and wait. of course, i used to see the same thing when i lived in canadia. people would wait in long lines to buy gas from the cheapest place in town which was right across from my apt. right next door to that the gas was only slightly more expensive, maybe a dollar+ per tank more.

That's all we have ever had over here well since ive been driving at least... NEVER had someone else put petrol in my car, its actually a bit of an odd idea to me...

No Brit likes tipping someone to do something they could do themselves

That's all we have ever had over here well since ive been driving at least... NEVER had someone else put petrol in my car, its actually a bit of an odd idea to me...

I have a good few years on ya young Rabs. I had a motorbike at 16 and a minibus at 18 ('70 & '72) and nobody filled their own tank then. You didnt even need to get out of the car.

Around the 1st time I filled a tank was on an early commercial diesel Ford Transit. Most garages forecourts had no diesel pumps then. So I had to fill up where the tankers did around the back. I had to collect & return the key for the padlock on the pump.

I believe the old law in oregon did not apply to diesel, only petrol. So diesel vehicle owners could pump their own. Maybe I am a control freak but I wouldn't want someone else pumping fuel into my vehicle. I have an uncle who was passing through oregon in his Dodge Ram (Cummins diesel) pulling his 5th wheel trailer and he stopped at a fuel station to fill up. The attendant came out and started filling up his truck, he finished and my uncle took off down the road. He didn't get very far when his truck started running really rough so he pulled into a shop. They dropped his tank and found that it was full of gasoline! They cleaned it all out and he took the invoice back to the gas station and the manager cut him a check on the spot for the full repair cost. Luckily his truck was fine and still runs great.

rct

It is interesting that the price would go up if self service were introduced. I would imagine that if a gas station allows only trained attendants to pour gas, then their insurance premiums must be WAY lower...obviously enough to cover wages of those attendants and then some to pass along savings to customers.

I'm sure it makes a great job for a high school or college student.

I don't know if you have them in the U.S, but here in the U.K we have self service checkouts in supermarkets. Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned but as far as I'm aware there not paying me so why would I want to do their job for them?

Ian

I don't know if you have them in the U.S, but here in the U.K we have self service checkouts in supermarkets. Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned but as far as I'm aware there not paying me so why would I want to do their job for them?

Ian

We have them but I never use them. Stores here tend to have both now. I agree with you on your philosophy about getting paid to ring stuff up. Maybe if they gave me a discount for using the self checkout, I would do that.

"Workin in the filling station - too many tasks. Wipe the windows, check the tires, check the oil, a dollar gas. Too much monkey business" - Chuck Berry.

When I was a kid in Illinois (1950s) an attendant always came out and pumped the gas. There was a hose that ran across the driveway and when your car ran over it a bell would ring inside the station. That way if the serviceman was working on a repair he knew he had a customer out front. Credit cards weren't that prevalent then so you might specify "give me $10 worth" or if you just said "fill it up" you would pay the man and then wait for him to run back inside to the cash register and get your change.

By the time I got my driving license about '66 self serve had started - but you had an option. Pull in nearest the building and an attendant would come out to pump the gas. Further away at the outer lanes was self serve. The self serve gas was a couple cents cheaper per gallon because they saved on labor. By about 1970 or so it was all self serve, and few gas stations did any service work (tune-ups, tire rotation etc) instead the garage portion was converted into a mini convenience store.

Guest Farnsbarns

You must be a little younger than me, I think. While in my adult life I've only seen a petrol pump attendant once, when I was a kid it was the norm. I remember my Grandmother kicking up a right stink once when there was no attendant and they expected her to pump her own petrol.

When I was about 20, in Devon somewhere, myself and my then girl friend stopped for fuel and were staggered when a young chap appeared and asked, "fill it up?".

Archived