Gibson Brands Forums

The Academy Awards or Play Guitar?

Californiaman

Since my wife and I make a point of watching as many nominated movies as possible, we will probably watch. I hate that stuff, but out of curiosity, we'll prolly watch... or I'll be playing guitar. Not sure yet.

I'm not a fan of any of the "award" shows, be it the Oscars, Grammy's, et al. Waste of time IMHO, although if it floats your boat, have at it. In any event, the local paper (LA Times), will be full of Oscar coverage, just as it has been all week. [thumbdn]

I haven't watched television in more than six years.

I haven't been to the movies in over two years.

And I haven't watched The Oscars in more than 15 years.

I didn't know that the entire charade was even going on this evening until this thread erupted.

[mellow]

All these 'award' shows are just a device to build up excitement on the part of the viewers/listeners while bestowing honors on the most outrageous of those in that particular field. Sort of gives them an award for being outspoken and obnoxious.

Even though I watched the whole thing, I would have rather been playing guitar. My daughter insists on watching all of the awards shows. I, as a respectful parent, don't like to interfere with her watching with my guitar. (although she has told me that it's OK, because I don't "crank it" like my sons' do). I still feel disrespectful playing while she is trying to enjoy TV. So, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em". [flapper]

I do really get annoyed at all of the Racism, political and Sexual Harassment innuendo... They've made their point, get over it and move on... I'm not an advocate of any of the corruption, I'm just tired of hearing about. [thumbdn] it.

I disconnected the cable, and took down the antenna mast in the 1980s. I never got a digital converter either.

I'd rather live my life by doing things than to live my life vicariously by watching actors pretend to do things. YMMV

Besides, a business awarding themselves, the Oscars, Grammies, and do on became nothing more than advertisements long ago.

Insights and incites by Notes.

1520214410[/url]' post='1921481']

Well, considering I would rather have a root canal without Novacaine than watch any Hollyweird awards show, this was a no-brainer.

Wish I could give you a double like! Ha Ha, yes, I could care less about Hollywood. My wife loves all that stuff and knows I don't care for it. She'll watch as usual and I'll hear all about it as usual, I'm playing.

Wish I could give you a double like! Ha Ha, yes, I could care less about Hollywood. My wife loves all that stuff and knows I don't care for it. She'll watch as usual and I'll hear all about it as usual, I'm playing.

Thanks for the positive reply. Like I said, this was a no-brainier. I have no desire to listen to a bunch of cocaine/alcohol fueled clowns lecture me on how I should live/think. Jeez, I feel confused about the direction of my life. Perhaps Charlie Sheen's "My Violent Torpedo of Truth" message will get me pointed in the right direction. Or Sean Penn's deeply analytical view of geo-political expertise will help me get my mind right. No thanks. I am fully capable of making educated decisions on my own.

Archived