Gibson Brands Forums

Why Are We Haemorrhaging Members?

IanHenry

Recently we have lost two valued members of our community namely FZ Fan and Farns, seemingly because they have got upset or taken offence at posts on the forum. I'm not aware what either of those posts were but I can only guess that it must have got pretty personal for them to throw in the towel, FZ in a rather dramatic fashion, asking for his account to be deleted.

Whilst we are all adults here (I think), and anyone can come and go as they please, I can't understand what can have been so heinous as to make them leave. This isn't a stab at the moderators who I believe do a very good job, I'd like to see some discussion before seeing some of our most prolific members exit in such circumstances.

Ian

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH-OH ! ! ! !

In Before the Lock!...

Floodgates_Pandorasbox_Canofworms_zpsz6nyvqgb.jpg

I believe I'm correct in saying both members felt that there was, effectively, a very noticeable censorship-imbalance in the the way some members were being treated in comparison with certain others.

Pip.

I myself get fed up of trying to post a photo. It's the only forum that you can't download straight from your computer I know of. Then we get double posts etc and if you get perceived unfairness I'd want to leave. Saying this, I'm fed up of social media in general anyhow. I hardly go on Facebook now and if you comment on YouTube, you get abuse from trolls.

I myself get fed up of trying to post a photo. It's the only forum that you can't download straight from your computer I know of. Then we get double posts etc and if you get perceived unfairness I'd want to leave. Saying this, I'm fed up of social media in general anyhow. I hardly go on Facebook now and if you comment on YouTube, you get abuse from trolls.

Heh, I have to say I don't consider this forum to be social media!

Which is why I like it.

I believe I'm correct in saying both members felt that there was, effectively, a very noticeable censorship-imbalance in the the way some members were being treated in comparison with certain others.

Pip.

Giddy up! msp_thumbup.gif

There's a lot of ppl that I've noticed that are not post/contributing as frequently.

It's really all about not taking anything too personal, stay away from the land mines where we know the trolls like tread. Life is too short for the angst.

The forum aint what it used to be, but it's still a good place overall. New members are filling some of the void.

Some times it can frustrating, especially when 90% of the noise is coming from members who don't post much, or just sign up with the intent to just come here to whine.

There will always be members that get upset and leave in a huff.

This is not new. I've been around these parts for about 12 years. Many people come and go.

How do you propose we keep a member from leaving?

If someone wants to leave and stop posting for good, that's up to them to decide. And if someone wants to leave why SHOULD we try and make them do something they don't want to do? That sounds wrong to me.

I sometimes miss members that stop posting.

But if they want to leave I say Bon Voyage! Happy Trails!

The forum is forever changing and always will.

Ain't nothin' you can do about it.

Just try to not let it bother you so much.

... I sometimes miss members that stop posting.

But if they want to leave I say Bon Voyage! Happy Trails!

The forum is forever changing and always will.

Ain't nothin' you can do about it.

Just try to not let it bother you so much.

Totally agree. . B)

I wouldn't go so far as to say we're "hemorrhaging" members. I think that kidblast and brad1 make some valid points. I've been here for almost 10 years and there are several people who have come and gone for their own reasons, some I miss, some not so much. It's a lot like "real life" in some respects - you have to deal with others. As kidblast pointed out, don't take things too personal and avoid areas where you know will just get you going. I, for one, stay here to learn a lot, not just BS with others, although I've spent my share of time doing just that. I also don't feel compelled to comment on everything I read (then again why am I posting this response? LOL). All in all we have to remember one thing - it's a friggin' internet forum!!. As always, it's IMHO and YMMV.

Some leave due to feeling singled out for perceived slights, others age and pass away, some change brands and move on and still others leave sites due to boredom or changing interests.

I like Gibson electrics so I'll hang around.

Interesting times are coming up for the mother company. Hope they can stay here in the US where they belong.

If they shift to overseas production that will end my interest in current production models, that's for sure.

I think that once Gibson gets to the point where they're not pissing off their customers and destroying the company there won't be so much arguing about Gibson on here.

They're not letting Henry screw up Gibson any more. So that'll keep the customers from arguing with each other. The question of whether Henry is doing a good job has been resolved by people way above our pay scale. Nobody needs to argue about it anymore. [thumbup]

I think sometimes people just need to take a break for one reason or another. Trolls will be trolls and will always be around in any format. They'll eventually burn out and go away once they can't get a rise out of people. Bullies will be bullies. I hope those valued members who have left will come back again when they're ready.

it's a natural ebb & flow. people come, people go. if I see something on tv I don't like I change the channel, hear something on the radio I don't like I change the station. read something I don't like I either ignore it or respond. some people seem to get wound up too tight sometimes. anyway, thats my 2 cents ...

Ok I am going to add my two cents, having been AWOL for quite a while I see a noticeable change in the tenor of these forums. Not bad, not good, just a little change in direction. And as was stated above if something rubs me the wrong way or is taken as a slight, I simply ignore the post and have learned that it is too easy to get sucked into that vacuum, all you accomplish is trying to change a fools mind, and that is an act in futility. I have done social media marketing for a number of years and it is almost a given, there are people that sit around and look to ruin someones day by trolling them and if you go toe to toe with them all you have accomplished is wasting your energy and gained nothing. Let's face it,we are here to elevate one another, joke around and talk about gear. I know there is a great group in the forums and that is what has kept me coming back, time and again. There you have it, for what it is worth.

Pappymsp_confused.gif

Ok I am going to add my two cents, having been AWOL for quite a while I see a noticeable change in the tenor of these forums. Not bad, not good, just a little change in direction. And as was stated above if something rubs me the wrong way or is taken as a slight, I simply ignore the post and have learned that it is too easy to get sucked into that vacuum, all you accomplish is trying to change a fools mind, and that is an act in futility. I have done social media marketing for a number of years and it is almost a given, there are people that sit around and look to ruin someones day by trolling them and if you go toe to toe with them all you have accomplished is wasting your energy and gained nothing. Let's face it,we are here to elevate one another, joke around and talk about gear. I know there is a great group in the forums and that is what has kept me coming back, time and again. There you have it, for what it is worth.

Pappymsp_confused.gif

... a breath of fresh air. Nice one pappy!

Pappymsp_confused.gif

Naaah. You're crazy.

Archived