Gibson Brands Forums

What lessons have we learned in the past three years?

jaxson50

I ask this question to get feed back from posters from all walks of life and from alk over the globe, 

In the past  3 years now, going back to 2019 when the first Corona virus started spreading, we have witnessed supply chain failures, political upheaval, social unrest, China becoming a threat to the western Pacific nations as well as a failed invasion of a providence of India, and of course the Ukraine crisis. 

My question is narrowly focused not on politics or nationalism,  but simply this,

WHAT HAVE WE LEARNED IN THE PAST THREE YEARS?

• Sad 2

I learned the world is far more screwed up than I ever dreamed it could be, I learned that Gibson QC went up and then it went down (kind of like the stock market), I learned that Kanye West gets mad if someone bones his ex-wife's silicone, I learned that stereo gear continues to improve and that my wife probably came here from another planet.

• Haha 2

Would have to be taken in context when it comes to me because the pandemic was a part of it, an added feature of the things that happened. In the last 3 yearsI went through fire loss, the death of my mother, my best friend from training days, and my brother in law, a colon tumor that required a second wider resection (the kind of tumor that Steve Jobs had so I take it seriously), and a big change of jobs.

So what did I learn?...sounds pretty dumb but here goes.....2 parts

• Take time to appreciate and smell the freaking flowers
  • Choose to be happy because it is a choice.

Phillip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I think my example is more of a reinforcement of a belief prior to past three years than something new.  I am now even more adamant about not listening to/being influenced by the increasing number of idiots skulking around now.   The past three years has seen an increase in the number of corrupt and morally bankrupt politicians, clueless bureaucrats and halfwit media talking heads telling people what they should do and think.  You know the type: the self-proclaimed geniuses, subject matter experts and legends in their own minds.  “Do as we say, rubes!  We’re smarter than you are.”    They seemed to pop up everywhere, like cockroaches.  Well, I’ve managed to survive almost 62 years on this planet without their help, TYVM.  And I am even more committed to blowing these buffoons off.

Edited by tx-ogre
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I was diagnosed with cancer three years ago.  Lost my mother unexpectedly in March 2000, just one month after we threw her an 80th birthday party.

So never live in fear.  Walk in faith and a quiet confidence and assuredness.

Be bold and recognize that all of us face trials and tribulations regularly.  Work hard to bridge the distance between family and friends.

So encourage and lift up your fellow man/woman.  Make them aware that every day is a gift and you should be thankful for them in your life.

Because I tell you this, on the days when my gratitude out weighs or is greater than my expectations, then I'm having pretty good days.

I'm now cancer free for three years.

Thanks Jim for the post.  You my friend are near and dear to my heart.

I'm thankful for you for your wisdom, your friendship, and always your insights and razor sharp mind for history.

Todd

• Like 5

4 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I believe that many people learned that absolute power corrupts, absolutely. 

I didn't particularly need this lesson, for I learned it many years ago. 

🤫

And that the mainstream media is absolutely corrupt and can not be trusted as a source of truth and objectivity.

Oh and one more thing.  A grave, mass psychosis has taken control of a large section of humanity.  Many live in fear and are incapable of embracing freedom and liberty because they only believe in and answer to their totalitarian, autocratic, rulers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I learned that more people than I ever could have imagined can get sucked into cults and fall for bizarre conspiracy theories that only a few years I would have thought only could exist in some twisted comedy movie.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Californiaman said:

I was diagnosed with cancer three years ago.  Lost my mother unexpectedly in March 2000, just one month after we threw her an 80th birthday party.

Be bold and recognize that all of us face trials and tribulations regularly.  Work hard to bridge the distance between family and friends.

So encourage and lift up your fellow man/woman.  Make them aware that every day is a gift and you should be thankful for them in your life.

Because I tell you this, on the days when my gratitude out weighs or is greater than my expectations, then I'm having pretty good days.

I'm thankful for you for your wisdom, your friendship, and always your insights and razor sharp mind for history.

Todd

Amen! Congratulations on the 3 years cancer free. This coming September will make 34 years cancer free for me.  (And according to doctors, I wasn't supposed to make it.) Yes, Always have Faith & Hope. Back when I was in  intensive care, I kept praying that the Lord would take me. Still here! ( But this isn't about me.) Take care Californiaman. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Californiaman said:

Todd

Likewise Todd, , we played together., prayed together and aged some too. 

God Bless 

• Like 1

"things got bad, then things got worse, I guess you know the tune..."

We've all had a rough couple of years, some more than others.

we all just need to remember, no matter what trouble we're in at the time "This too shall pass"

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I learned sometimes we need masks and at other times we don’t. And how you wear it is open to interpretation.

I also learned Neil Young is the douch I always thought he was.

NY is a freedom fighting hero who wants a war free clean world . 

also one hell of a multi-tasking musician

sorry you dont like people who actually do something to help the world and are happier pissing on good people to make yourself look ? uninformed ...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jvi said:

NY is a freedom fighting hero who wants a war free clean world . 

also one hell of a multi-tasking musician

sorry you dont like people who actually do something to help the world and are happier pissing on good people to make yourself look ? uninformed ...

I served my country for 23 years. Neil left yours and  moved here just to complain about mine, then became an American, so he could complain more about it.

“freedom fighting hero”. That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard this year.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I served my country for 23 years. Neil left yours and  moved here just to complain about mine, then became an American, so he could complain more about it.

“freedom fighting hero”. That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard this year.

you may have served in the forces but on here you slander your home town, state, country and most of the people in it. really sarge you should sometimes say how good your country is, even I can say its a great country, not fault free but one of the better ones.

• Like 2

Over more than the last three years I learned that your real family and friends are the ones who show up when you could use their help, call to offer sincere regrets and apologies for the times they couldn't, and show up to see if you need help even when you don't.  And sadly,  some of the ones I thought could be relied upon weren't so inclined to be reliable, but great at giving empty promises.  

But generally(and to the OP intent)   We've really(as a people) didn't learn much collectively.  Just reinforcing the idea that what really matters is what our particular segments of society feels it should be.  That measures taken in the effort to protect public health were "tyranny"  to some.  

And too that sadly, what really needs to be learned by too many is----

"He who lives by the phone shall perish by the phone."  

• Like 1

I've learned that the older I get,  the harder I have to try to ignore things I didn't even notice when I was in my 30s.  

Toilet Paper shortage ?    Nah.  It'll get resolved before I run out.  Lead in the water in Flint?   Ship in bottled water. Plus, I don't live there.   Life if great when you don't take ANYTHING seriously.    

Just heard San Antonio City Council approved to study an  Elon Musk Boring Company proposal to build a 9 mile tunnel here - 9 miles  through solid limestone rock to go from downtown San Antonio to the airport.  For $250M!  It'll cost double, easy.     I never cared or even thought  about the famed "Bridge To Nowhere"  but now I'm upset a billionaire wants me to pay for a tunnel that will be used by probably less than 10% of those who go to the airport.   He's built one in Las Vegas: 2 miles.  Citizens do not actually drive in it:  City provides free rides in Teslas.  So - another scheme for politicians and billionaires to get richer on our dime.  When I ask my 40 year old kids what they think about it - they don't have an opinion.    He has similar proposals in front of other cities.  Wonder if the US Dept of Transportation has a dog in this fight? 

But - in retrospect - it took me longer than 3 years to figure that out.  So - in the past 3 years?   Simple:    It's easier to divide than to unite. 

• Like 1