Gibson Brands Forums

What do you think of the Theodore?

Twang Gang

Gibson announced the Theodore today.  A guitar that Ted Mcarty sketched out in 1957, but it never made it into production until now.  Comes from the Custom Shop with a $5K price tag and seems over-priced to me.  It is a two piece alder body, mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard, two P-90s and a wrap around bridge.  It's built from very basic materials like an entry level guitar from the 50s.  Too new to have heard what it sounds like.  Seems like this might have been a decent $500 - $800 guitar but not for $5,000.  Limited to 318 built (is that for March 18th the day it was announced?) so I suppose they will sell but I think I'd stick with a proven guitar like a LP Standard for half the price.  

• Like 1

Its a cash grab again for Gibson. It didn't come out then, and certainly didn't need to come out now. Looks like a$$ and is just another guitar with P-90's on it.  Get and SG or LP instead. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Forsaken said:

I would not buy that and if I got one for free I would sell it ASAP! Looks like a LP with the horns cut off. Is this Gibson's response to the Fender Meteroa? 

0147352391.png?20220315121835

I was thinking the same thing. Would flip it ASAP. 

22 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

The body would make a nice cutting board for the kitchen.

Big Bill,

Might be better as a cheese tray.

And if strung with six treble e-strings, you'd even have a built-in slicer for cheese or perhaps hard-boiled eggs.

Another example of the Gibson "cash for trash " programme.

RBSinTo

• Haha 3

Hideous.  I wanted to post something more profane coming from the mouth of Arnold in the hit movie Predator - the scene where Arnold sees Predator's face for the first time - but it's a little too... vulgar.  No way am I paying 5k for some high schooler's wood shop project. 

All Gibson thinks they have to do is grab a block of wood, put their name on that s*** and slap on the $5k price tag, voila!  It's how we do business boys! 

Edited by NighthawkChris
  • Like 1

Coming soon:

Gibson will take  cowturds, "torrify them, slap on  pickups and necks, and call them the Cowfart Global Warming Commemorative Model.

Of course the fans will want one in every distinct shape.

Get your money ready boys.

RBSinTo

• Haha 1

I spent some time with one yesterday.

I really liked it.

The body shape, and the incredibly light weight, make it different than an SG Special or Les Paul Special despite the similar electronics. I didn't have another Custom Shop VOS model to make a direct comparison, only Gibson USA standard versions, so I can't say what might have been influenced by the particular pickups or body woods, but It was a very fun guitar to play.

I'm not in the position to buy a $5000 guitar, but if there was a $2000 Gibson USA version with standard gloss finish, I'd buy one in an instant.

• Thanks 1