Gibson Brands Forums

Your "Go To" Guitar

SteveFord

Go To Guitar?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you rotate your guitars?

• Well, yeah
    • Hell no

Most of us have a bunch of guitars so do you gravitate towards one and just pretty much play that all the time or do you rotate them?

Maybe I'm just too lazy and untalented but I gravitate towards one and play that exclusively for a year or so at a time.  

For the past 6 months it's been a Firebird VII, my 8' long monster with a whammy bar.

5rWAuKF.jpg

Edited by SteveFord
  • Like 4

I rotate my guitars, but play my 7 string slightly more often than any of my 6 strings.  As far as my basses, I play my 6 string about 80% of the time and one of my two 4 strings about 20% of the time.

• Like 1

I'd say no.

I pull out the Epiphone and the Gibson maybe a couple of times per year when I'm feeling guilty for not playing them in so long, but generally I just use the Aria Pro ll all the time these days since its the gig and rehearsals guitar.  [mellow]

• Like 1

By the standards of most guitar websites, I am Guitar-challenged as I only have five.

They are all stored in cases, as I neither have the need nor space to display them.

And though I usually play every day, (and only for my own enjoyment) there is no rhyme or reason to which I select, other than deliberately choosing the parlour guitar over the others when my right shoulder problems flare up.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

i mostly play the acoustics.  

My "Go To" guitar(s) are my original Dove or my J-50.

The BIF, 'Bird and 'Bird 12-String I rarely practice on....just use them for recording.

I do rotate my guitars  often....but it's usually because I want a certain guitar for a certain song.

• Like 1

I’m embarrassed to say that I don’t know how many Guitars I have right now.. I need to take inventory.. I know I have several I don't plamuch if at all. Those need to be sold.. I need to get off my duff & do it..

As for the question, I do rotate about 10 Guitars.. All are different..

The one I play most is my Gibson Bozeman Masterbilt J-160E.. Besides The Beatle connection, IMO, it is the Top of the Line J Series Guitar… Definitely the best sounding & best looking of the dozens of J Series Guitars I’ve played & considered buying… 

• Like 1

I have one for practice at home, and another similar one, but custom-built for me to gig with.

Both are Parkers.

I have a Gibson ES-330 which I use to learn songs when I don't want to plug it in.

I'm a gigger, and not a collector.

This forum won't let me upload because my site isn't https, but if you want to see them, click me.

Notes ♫

• Like 1

I don't gig anymore, not that I ever did that much, anyway. I've always been one to play more for my own enjoyment.

If I did gig, my go-to would be an Epiphone Dot with Fralin P-92s.

My preferred guitar to play at home is a 2020 ES-335, though I love my 2008 LP Standard and my 2007 AS Tele with Fralin Steel Pole 42s.

• Like 1

At home I rotate keeping them in a rack so I can see them and make sure I touch each one at least every couple weeks. When I go to my weekend jam I take 2, one of which always seems to be my Wilshire whether I play it or not. My Blueshawk has been the top contender since I got in 2016 a great player and versatile, but the Wilshire is just so comfortable and easy to play, then the SG Classic is  so much fun...

Z91XVGx.jpg

HEF1j47.jpg

nkLVjKP.jpg

Rotation is difficult sometimes all of them have slightly different incredible attributes, its a good thing I'm retired so I have time to play them all.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Rotation is difficult sometimes all of them have slightly different incredible attributes, its a good thing I'm retired so I have time to play them all.

This absolutely.  

They're all fantastic.  At the moment I'm smitten with my most recent purchase of course!!

🎸[thumbup]

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mihcmac said:

At home I rotate keeping them in a rack so I can see them and make sure I touch each one at least every couple weeks. When I go to my weekend jam I take 2, one of which always seems to be my Wilshire whether I play it or not. My Blueshawk has been the top contender since I got in 2016 a great player and versatile, but the Wilshire is just so comfortable and easy to play, then the SG Classic is  so much fun...

That Wilshire is a sweet looking guitar.

• Like 1

yes, I do try to use all of them.  But I probably have too may guitars, (16)  play all of them, some more than others

With my electrics, my Les Pauls, (2) are my sweet spots,  SGs (aslo 2) are a close second.. 

The fenders (got 3 of em) get their time out of the case

A few semi hollows (a Sheraton, and an ES135) and my Gretsch hollow body (5422TG)  they get played, not as much but they do.

Fr the  acoustics (6 of em)it is the same sitch.   They all get played, the Taylor 814 and J200 probably the most time out of the case.

I've two other Taylors beyond the 814 one being a nylon,  a Guild 12 string, and a very old but very nice dy74 Yari 

I seem to use these last two the least. but I do use them.

then there are the mandolins (1) and ukes, (1) is that for another day?

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

I do try to rotate through and play them all.  That said, I don't play electric guitars much anymore so my LP and CS356 sit in their cases way too much.  Of my acoustics the newest one is getting a lot of play time and I'm using it Friday for a party gig.  But it's not just because it's new, I really like the sound and clarity of it.  So while I rotate though them the majority of playing is done on one of these:

FfHIVU5.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/31/2021 at 6:47 PM, SteveFord said:

Most of us have a bunch of guitars so do you gravitate towards one and just pretty much play that all the time or do you rotate them?

Maybe I'm just too lazy and untalented but I gravitate towards one and play that exclusively for a year or so at a time.  

For the past 6 months it's been a Firebird VII, my 8' long monster with a whammy bar.

5rWAuKF.jpg

That is Phil Manzanera approved.

30MTIaD.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2