Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Another forum member dealing with a house fire...


kidblast
 Share

Recommended Posts

This past Friday morning, sometime around 12:30 / 12:45 our smoke detectors went off, at the same time, my 38 yr old Daughter who lives in our second floor flat, came down stairs screaming "Fire"...

I walk out of our bedroom, and into the kitchen.  Looking out the window, I can see the flames coming down the exterior wall, where our deck is, and I can tell from seeing the house next door being as well lit from the fire on our house, that this was already very involved.   The smoke has already made it down stairs and is starting to fill the house.

So, ok.. every one goes out, and I do the only thing I can..   Get out of there and call 911.. 

Thankfully we live very close to a fire station.  They were there quick and had the fire knocked down in about 30 minutes.   Those boys and girls were amazing.  Just amazing..  Thankfully the FD saved the building but unfortunately much damage was done.  The second floor apartment where my daughter and 2 grand kids live, is totaled.  Like Ground Zero totaled..

They lost just about everything.  Down stairs there is significant smoke and water damage to our entire living area.

Miraculously, all of the guitars (17) mando, uke, all survived the disasters with literally no damage at all.  I have a closet where I keep them, and that was well away from the location where the fire actually was. Not even smoke damage..  that close was the difference.  Even though I have all these on a professional rider for replacement value,  some of these things can't be replaced.

The house is not habitable, but it's rebuild-able from what we know so far.  We have retained a public adjust who is working with us, and I have to say, this guy is a savior.  He is working with the insurance company and handling all the immediate details, like clean up, movers, restoration teams. 

The cause of the fire, unfortunately was due to a cigarette that was not entirely extinguished that somehow lit a blanket on fire that was out on the second floor porch.  My daughter smokes, so that's how it all went down.  She feels awful, but it was really just a tragic accident. 

We're staying with family who has room while we find temporary housing.  We have good insurance and should have plenty of coverage to deal with renting a house until we can get back in. 

it was horrific, but we're going to be fine.  right now, it's one day at a time.

I know that at least on this forum  Rev Dave and Tman have had to work thru this..   unfortunately, I now have first hand experience to what you guys went through.

/ray

 

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, that's really horrible.  Obviously great news that nobody was injured.  Also nice that your gear was spared.   I think about things like this and it scares the crap out of me.  Can't imagine what it's like to live it.  Sounds like you're handling it as good as anyone could hope.  Good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Man, kid that really suck, especially during this time. I am glad you are safe.

 

Now that you have been through the full test, which was "the one guitar" you ran back in the house to rescue. 

I remember that thread. Most  at the time seemed to rescue at least 2 guitars. Just shows how fast things can go and just enough time if any to clear the family out.  Anyway, I'm terribly sorry for you Ray. But happy that you all made it out and the guitars were all saved.  Insurance will rebuild but some things will have to be bought again. I will remember you in my prayers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I'm so sorry to hear this 😧😧 I'm glad everyone was ok...

I know exactly what your talking about, I have not had a house fire but our neighbors did, and it was horrible to watch...

Then when they tried to rebuild, the city gave them fine after fine, just ridiculous!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Damn, sorry to hear this.

I smoked and drank for decades and was blessed to have never had an accident. Hell, everybody smoked in those days. They would dump ashtrays into big garbage cans in bars, several times a night. It's a wonder there weren't more fires, to be honest.

Here's wishing the best, old friend.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi guys,  Thanks everyone for your thoughts.   Murph  you're correct..  they'd do that ALL the time. 

I think this is the kind of nightmare we all have, and are so grateful when we wake up to realize it was real.   But for us, well, it wasn't a bad dream.

Truth be told, that night, I grabbed some axes before the FD got there,  there was quite a bit of smoke, but I got my J200, and a few more that I knew would be hard to "replace" out.  By then they were there, (we live very close to the firehouse,  I just got away from the building so the crew could do their work.  Again, those guys were amazing. 

My wife was not happy with me for dragging out what I did, but I knew that was all I could really do,  The rest had to just stay.  Things happened so fast..

But that closet really made the difference,  not even smoke got in there.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On March 31, 2020 at 7:53 AM, kidblast said:

Hi guys,  Thanks everyone for your thoughts.   Murph  you're correct..  they'd do that ALL the time. 

I think this is the kind of nightmare we all have, and are so grateful when we wake up to realize it was real.   But for us, well, it wasn't a bad dream.

Truth be told, that night, I grabbed some axes before the FD got there,  there was quite a bit of smoke, but I got my J200, and a few more that I knew would be hard to "replace" out.  By then they were there, (we live very close to the firehouse,  I just got away from the building so the crew could do their work.  Again, those guys were amazing. 

My wife was not happy with me for dragging out what I did, but I knew that was all I could really do,  The rest had to just stay.  Things happened so fast..

But that closet really made the difference,  not even smoke got in there.

 

 

 

Is there anything you need? Clothes or whatever?  Let me know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...