Gibson Brands Forums

RIP to an old friend

My duo partner of nearly 25-years passed-away this week.  Duane and I did many, many gigs together.  We played the Lee’s Summit Farmers Market for 8-years (every Saturday, weather permitting), along with festivals, wineries, fish fries..  He knew my original songs and I knew his.  If one of us forgot a line to our own song, the other likely knew it and filled in.   He had a stroke and a heart attack in Aug. 2022 and wasn’t getting-out very often.  He’d come to my weekly coffeehouse gig 2-3 times per month and I’d ask him if he wanted to play a few songs, but he didn’t play.  I called him every 3-4 weeks, just to check-in on him.  He had serious heart issues for years and was also diabetic.  Emailed him an April Fool’s joke and he called me and we laughed and talked.  He came out to my coffeehouse gig at the end of April.  I almost called him last week, but figured I’d do it later.  There was no later.  His wife called yesterday and said he passed-away on Tuesday……So, if there is something important that you’re meaning to do, DO IT!  No matter how young or old we are and no matter how healthy we are——tomorrow is not guaranteed……..I know we all realize that, but sometimes we need to be reminded.

Edited by MissouriPicker
  • Like 5

Yeah.. Sorry for your loss man..  I know the feeling all too well. I lost my musical partner also of about 25 years in 2018.  He was only 43..

Still not really over it.. I dont think you ever do really get over it but just learn to live with it....

MP,  don't have the words to express my sympathy for your loss.

The worst thing is to think about calling someone, putting it off, then finding out you'll never talk to that person again.

I've lost several musician/friends/and guys closer to me than a brother....and the guilt stays with me....probably forever.

RIP, Duane.

Sorry for the loss. Hard to say goodbye to friends and loved ones. Sounds like you have plenty of memories to do plenty tributes. Me and my three bandmates started together when we were 12 years old. We lost one in his thirties from suicide, one in his 50's from illness. Us last two are in our 70's and still keep in touch and get together when we can.

Regardless of being a musician or not, it's tough to lose a friend of that many years.  And that stuff about him being diabetic and having a stroke is all too familiar to me.  The best anyone could have hoped for him was that those who were best capable of helping him did their best.    And please don't beat yourself up for not calling him more often.  There was no way for you or anyone to know when or if what happened would happen.   And it could be a good thing we can't.

My sincerest condolences to you and your friend's loved ones.  Those who know loss can appreciate your grief. 

Whitefang

Sorry for your loss MP, as we age unfortunately this becomes a more frequent occurrence.  I lost a really close friend to a drowning accident in January and lost my sister in April so I have been thinking some of the same things you are.  Have to live each day to the fullest and not put things off.